Ask as Expert- Question about plant growth with different types of liquids.

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

mialtayl

Ask as Expert- Question about plant growth with different types of liquids.

Post by mialtayl »

Trying to see if green beans will grow as a plant when watered with various liquids (water/ control, Milk, Orange Juice, Pepsi, Kool-Aid). The packet says we need to interview ask “experts.” Just started growing last few days.

What do you think? Trying to formulate my hypothesis and my packet suggests I ask others.

I have read a lot about how plants grow and what nutrients are needed.

Thanks
lynnsamuelson
Former Expert

Re: Ask as Expert- Question about plant growth with different types of liquids.

Post by lynnsamuelson »

Use what you know about how plants grow and the nutrients that are needed to help your child write down the question being investigated. Since this study looks at the different growth depending on the type of food used, structure a hypothesis regarding which liquid you believe will make the plants grow more/faster than the control and those you believe will grow less/slower. Have fun experimenting.
roygoli
Former Expert
Project Question: I'm volunteering as an expert for this program.
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by roygoli »

Hi Miatyl,
Interesting experiment you've got there! Do you have any specific questions you would like us to answer as an interview? If you're curious about structuring the experiment, I can lead you to a couple of useful links:
Experiment structure: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ndex.shtml
I suggest looking at the functions of water in plants. Why do we water our plants? Can plants process the components of these other liquids I'm adding? Can plants withstand the acidity that comes from citrus juice? These questions may help you formulate your hypothesis. If you have any other questions, we'd be happy to answer :D
Also, if you'd like to avoid bad smells, I wouldn't make the experiment too long because milk, soil, and living organisms don't make a friendly bunch. However, make sure the experiment lasts long enough for enough growth to draw any conclusions.
Hebbs

Post by Hebbs »

The most important thing is to keep the soil moist. Watering the plants at regular intervals is also absolutely essential. Having said that, different plants require different methods for taking good care of them. For instance, peace lily plants require the soil mix to kept moist.

Read more @ http://www.flowerscanada.com/blog/uncat ... ing-guide/

Return to “Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”