WHAT ARE THE VARIABLES WHEN BUILDING A SQUISHY CIRCUIT ?

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

sequoialdrew

WHAT ARE THE VARIABLES WHEN BUILDING A SQUISHY CIRCUIT ?

Post by sequoialdrew »

I'M HELPING A FAMILY MEMBER WITH THEIR PROJECT AND WE NEED TO INCLUDE VARIABLES AND I STILL DON'T UNDERSTAND WHICH PART IS A VARIABLE. I BOUGHT THE KIT I JUST DON'T KNOW WHICH IS THE CONTROLLED, DEPENDENT, AND INDEPENDENT VARIABLE. I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE THE HELP, THANK YOU
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: WHAT ARE THE VARIABLES WHEN BUILDING A SQUISHY CIRCUIT ?

Post by tdaly »

Hi sequoialdrew,

Are you doing Squishy Circuits Project 1, 2, or 3? (I'm assuming you are doing project #1.) Step 8 of the procedure identifies the independent and dependent variables in this project.

The independent variable is the thing that *you* change. (Hint: what does step 8 say you should do with the red and black wires? This change that you make is the independent variable.)

The dependent variable is the thing that you observe changing in response to the independent variable. (Hint: based on the example data table beneath step 8, what are you observing changes in? This is the dependent variable.)

Controlled variables are things that stay the same in all the tests. For example, you use the same play dough in all of the tests, and you use the same motor. What other things stay the same in all the tests? These will also be controlled variables.

Post back with what you think the independent, dependent, and other controlled variables are, and I'll let you know if you are on the right track.
All the best,
Terik

Return to “Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”