Help with writing bibliography for science fair.

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

yaraisy

Help with writing bibliography for science fair.

Post by yaraisy »

my daughter is a 4th grader and her project is being submitted to the science fair...her teacher asked to do a "research" paper (full page) and suggested using www.easybib.com to do the bibliography. I have no IDEA how that website works...and not sure how to write the research paper. PLEASE help!
324B21
Former Expert
Project Question: Setting up an account to hopefully volunteer and help others learn and enjoy science!
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Help with writing bibliography for science fair.

Post by 324B21 »

Hey there. So glad you reached out. What you are looking at on this website is two commonly used, but different methods of citing work. This site is going to be really important to your daughter when she needs to do citations in all subjects, but like me probably isn't a master of knowing how they are supposed to look. Let's walk you through this process now so you (and hopefully your daughter can also give this site a go using the instructions too as a practice run) will be able to use it now and in the future with more confidence. This site has both APA and MLA as I mentioned. Both are equally important. Teachers and schools usually only require one way or the other, so we will not be using both today (but the instructions I am about to lay out are exactly the same with both). MLA is what we are going to use as our example tonight. Let's say that I am looking to cite a book. For this demonstration let us use the 1925 book The Book Of Plants written by Bertha Morris and Henry Chandler Cowles Parker. Here's how I would do this.

1. Go to http://www.easybib.com/

2. You will notice the default on this site is MLA7. This is what we want. How you know that this is what we are using is the words MLA7 are in a much bolder red and underlined right above the box where you can enter text. If for some reason it is not showing that way, click on MLA7 to switch this to this mode.

3. Please take note under where the aforementioned MLA7 text lies there is a second tab that gives you a few different options on things you might be looking to cite. A website, a book, a video/film, and so on. There are 59 different potential things to cite. From comic books to court cases, this site can do it all. For our demonstration today let's click on: Book.

4. Enter the text: The Book Of Plants. Correct spelling is fairly important here. However, case is not. Upper or Lower and you will get to the same place.

5. To the right of your text click on the Orange CITE IT button. It will now let you know that it gathering your information.

6. What will be produced will be a long list of potential matches. Remember, with this example we only used The Book of Plants as our search restriction, so many different things will come up. What you should be looking at right now should have our target book/author at the top of the list. Next to each of the books that came up you will see that same Orange CITE IT button.

7. Click on the CITE IT button for what should be the first search result.

* SIDENOTE: Make sure that have your website blockers off. If nothing comes up when you click on the CITE IT button after a few seconds, then you have a block. If this is the case, a small bar should appear in your WEBSITE (not where we have been working, but in the bar where you can type in CNN.com, MSN.com, FoxNews.com, etc) that gives you the option to ALLOW this site to unblock pop ups. Click this. If you do not have any sort of block and it takes you to a page with green check marks next to the text below, then forget this whole sidenote and continue on:

Title: The book of plants
Published: Houghton Mifflin Company Boston 1925
Authors: Bertha Morris. Parker, Henry Chandler Cowles

8. Below this text you will see an ORANGE button that says: Continue to the final step. Click on this.

9. What will be produced will be a "fill it in" type area where it should auto populate author information and publication info. You will notice that above this text it will give you different tabs that have the book in different formats like ebook or what have you. For this demo, we are going to go with good old fashioned dust jacket, musty smelling, dog earred corners print book.

10. Last step! Click on Create Citation. You should now be presented with a page that says Hooray! Here's your new citation. Just copy and paste this into your daughters paper, and voilla! This book is cited.

I hope this helps! Try with your daughters science sources, and come on back to let us know it worked. If it doesn't please respond back to this post with as much information as you can provide so we can assist further.

Have a great weekend!

Elizabeth

Return to “Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”