Trace Your Ancestry Through DNA

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

sunshine123

Trace Your Ancestry Through DNA

Post by sunshine123 »

After years of doing paper research, my family recently submitted DNA samples to Family Tree DNA and is awaiting the results which prompted me to use this opportunity to research. In total I'll be getting the results of both parents, one set of grandparents and a Y-Test from a maternal uncle. Due to the fact that the tests were already ordered through FTDNA I won't be able to access the National Geographic Genographic Project. (Gedmatch however might be available.) My problem is, that I have a hard time coming up with a hypothesis. How can I predict what deep ancestry any of my family members has when the paper trail goes cold after only a few hundred years - if even that far? How can I predict a haplogroup? And what about variables? They all belong to the same ethnic group. Is such a research on one's own family "scientific" enough?
roygoli
Former Expert
Project Question: I'm volunteering as an expert for this program.
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Trace Your Ancestry Through DNA

Post by roygoli »

Hi Soniab76751,
Wow, that sounds so exciting! I've tried researching a technical way to predict a haplogroup other than searching my sequence, and I could not find anything. However, there might still be something there. Otherwise, I would suggest using the common ethnicity of your family and any other information you have regarding your origin to predict a haplogroup because a hypothesis is just a prediction that may or may not be supported by the data you will eventually gather. Now, how to gather the data to tell me if my hypothesis is supported or not is usually the question people tend to stay stuck on. If you would like a bit more help in developing your hypothesis, check out this link :D https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... esis.shtml
For your controlled variable, I would suggest using the software you and everyone else in the database used as the controlled variable. When you are comparing data, it is reassuring if the sequences you find were identified using the same sequencing methods regarding specifics. However, in the case you switch to GedMatch after you've been sequenced somewhere else, you could always choose the same data reading technology as a controlled variable. Although you probably used a different system to sequence the important parts of your DNA, everyone you compared to used the same data reading software, for identifying their older roots. I hope this helped! Did we answer your question?
Last edited by roygoli on Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sunshine123

Post by sunshine123 »

Thank you so very much, roygoli, for taking the time to post a reply to my question. Maybe you can clarify a thing or two for me. When you say you're "searching your sequence" are you implying that you're looking at the actual raw material of results by FTDNA? Isn't it usually enough to just look at - in the case of the mtDNA - the differences in comparison to the rCRS or the HVR1, HVR2 and coding region? I wasn't about to check out the endlessly long sequence of A,T, C and G. And what "might still be there"? I agree, that most likely I'll end up using the ethnicity and region of origin to predict a possible haplogroup. Thank you also, for the link.
As far as the variables, can you give me a specific example? What kind of software are you referring to? I think going into things like the chromosome browser and comparing actual matching sequences on specific chromosomes with certain matches would be too much for frame of this school project. And what "data reading technology" are you referring to that would be usable as a controlled variable in GedMatch? And lastly, I didn't use any "system to sequence the important parts of my DNA".... that's what FTDNA does, right? I'm sorry but this is very confusing to me.
roygoli
Former Expert

Post by roygoli »

No Problem! Yes, sorry for the ambiguity!
-By "important sequence" I meant, in the case of the mtDNA, the sequence differences in comparison to the rCRS or the HVR1, HVR2 and coding region, like you mentioned above. So, no, you definitely do not have to search your entire genome.
-Variables: So, you've sent your DNA to FamilyTreeDNA, for some sort of sequencing. From what I have found, FTDNA assigns you a haplogroup by comparing your DNA to that of other people documented in their database to find common ancestors. FTDNA is doing your sequencing, so when you enter your results into GEDMatch you are being compared to people who used Ancestory.com, 23andMe and FTDNA to sequence their DNA. If you were to use National Geographic's DNA technology, you could say that the source for sequencing your DNA and the DNA of other people in their database is controlled because from what I have read their database will not let you upload results from other sources. However, you sent your DNA to FTDNA to be sequenced and are uploading to GEDMatch, so people who got their DNA sequenced from multiple sources can compare their results to yours using GEDMatch, thus the source used for sequencing the DNA will not be controlled. However, I believe that each company uses the same PROCESSES for mitochondrial testing, Y-Testing...etc so you could use "the process used to sequence DNA" as a controlled variable. You could also use "source for data processing" as a controlled variable because everyone on the GEDMatch database is using GEDMatch. I hope that covers it. If you have any more questions...:D Ask away!
On a side note, you should also use your family's surname to help you develop your hypothesis-something I forgot to mention earlier.
sunshine123

Post by sunshine123 »

Thank you very much for clarifying! The idea with the surname is good but given the fact that our science boards will be displayed to the broad public for about 10 days, my family has an issue with privacy. I do intent to black out the name(s), especially because there are some very unique ones involved.
roygoli
Former Expert

Post by roygoli »

Glad that's clearer :D. Yes, that's definitely understandable. I personally wouldn't be very comfortable either. However, I'm glad that you're still using the surnames to help you create a hypothesis; they could be very helpful. Your project sounds so eye-opening and exciting! We would love to hear about your results, or just the coolest part of the project for you.

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”