Question for Project

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

sciwal

Question for Project

Post by sciwal »

I want to do a science fair project looking at the effects of heat radiation on mammalia cells. I know of some nearby labs which may like to help me out because I do not have the tools required. The main purpose of my project would be that global warming is an increasing problem and recently there have been many heat waves. If I could see the effects of heat radiation on a cellular level, it could be helpful for future research. Do you think that this is a good idea or should I stick to something else?? I have until mid-December/early January to complete my project.
emmanicole
Former Expert

Re: Question for Project

Post by emmanicole »

Hi,

This sounds like a very cool project idea, especially with the way you have tied your question into the context of global warming. However, working with mammalian cells is usually dependent on having a lab available. If there is a nearby lab that could supervise and assist you with your project, you should ask about that right away.

If this is not possible, you might want to work on something related, such as building a model of a cell or of a mammalian circulatory system, and asking questions about how the cells and systems respond to heat using your model to test. Another possibility is to look at plant rather than mammalian cells: it is very easy to expose plants to heat stress, whereas for animal cells, you need cultures of cells, high-tech labs, and so on. You might be able to look at heat and plant cells with just a school microscope, and not having to worry about getting animal cells. (Plants are important too, right? We eat them!)

You might be able to figure out exactly what type of experiment you want to do by thinking more about what exactly you think will happen to the cells in the heat. Come up with an experiment design and hypothesis.

I hope this helped you address some of the practical concerns! Please feel free to ask again if you have more questions, and good luck with your project. It's very good that you're thinking of the big picture ideas like climate when you are working on your school projects, so I hope you have a good time doing it.
2shin7

Post by 2shin7 »

Hi!

I was going to ask if anyone has any idea about Luminol and it's chemical abstract? And also is there a way to test it with different kinds of chemicals like Bleach or Sodium? PLEASE answer eight back I need it for Sci fair proj.

THANK UUU SOO MUCH!!!! :wink: :wink: :wink:
hey... :!: :!: :!: :!: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
sciwal

Post by sciwal »

Thanks a bunch :D If a lab does choose to supervise me, do you think I will have enough time to complete my project? I have until Mid-December/Early January.
2shin7

Post by 2shin7 »

I'm not an expert but I'll express my thoughts. It's not up to us if you'll finish with your project, but it's up to you and the lab that will help you. I hope you enjoy your project and I hope you get your answers :D. Have a good day!
SciB
Expert
Occupation: Retired molecular biologist, university researcher and teacher
Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to be able to help students achieve the best science project possible and to understand the science behind it.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by SciB »

Hi 2shin7,

One word of advice from Scibuddies--please submit your posts on your own thread--not on someone else's. This project has nothing to do with your question and you are confusing people who are trying to follow the other person's thread.

If you are doing a project and want help from the experts' forum then start your own thread with an appropriate title. Otherwise we cannot know whose project is whose.

Thanks,

Sybee
2shin7

Post by 2shin7 »

Hi

I'm sorry if I distracted you from the topic. But as I see it this forum is called Question for Project, so basically all projects right? So don't tell me that I'm not supposed to be on this thread, if that's the case name it something else OK? Cause you're confusing me. And besides before you tell me to start my own thread with an appropriate title why don't you rename this thread with a different title not a general title like, "question for project". Thanks and have a not so wonderful day! :evil:

Sincerely,
2shin7

P.S. TRY TO FIX YOUR OWN THREAD TITLE FIRST BEFORE YOU TELL ME STUFFS.
HAVE A NOT SO WONDERFUL DAY!
xX_Marius_Xx

Post by xX_Marius_Xx »

You could honestly try to do your experiment at your school if they have an incubator or you could put some cells in an oven if you really feel like that could work.

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”