The Science Behind Tsunamis: Study the Effect of Water Depth on Wave Velocity

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

PandaPerson

Post by PandaPerson »

Hi,
I'm doing this project for my science fair and I need to do some research about my topic. The problem is: I can't find much about the effect of water depth on wave velocity. :? I only did some research on how a tsunami works and how it starts. Any suggestions for websites or books I could use for more research?
Thanks! :D
sunmoonstars
Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: The Science Behind Tsunamis: Study the Effect of Water Depth on Wave Velocity

Post by sunmoonstars »

Hi PandaPerson,

I think you can use the words "tsunami wave velocity and water depth" in a google search to find many results. The best ones are usually from a university or science website, so look for those. I found a couple, but if you look in detail you should be able to find many more. Let me know if you have specific questions you cannot find answers to in your search.

http://www.tulane.edu/~sanelson/Natural ... sunami.htm

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hb ... unami.html

Tonya
roygoli
Former Expert
Project Question: I'm volunteering as an expert for this program.
Project Due Date: N/A

Re: The Science Behind Tsunamis: Study the Effect of Water Depth on Wave Velocity

Post by roygoli »

Hi PandaPerson,
Another new way of researching topics is through the use of specific research tools which I'm sure you've probably heard of, but in case you haven't, they may help in finding credible and specific information regarding your research topic. Tools like google scholar :https://scholar.google.com/ are nice for searching the key words mentioned by Tonya and getting filtered outputs. These outputs may also help you in structuring your own experiment, because a lot of the them are published research papers reporting on certain experiments regarding the searched information. Good luck researching!
queenofthefallxo

Post by queenofthefallxo »

I need a science project topic, it has to be about something that's never been tested before.
roygoli
Former Expert
Project Question: I'm volunteering as an expert for this program.
Project Due Date: N/A

Post by roygoli »

Hi queenofthefallxo,
Well, have you ever had any "what if" questions lingering around? Have you ever wondered if changing something would have a larger effect on something else? That's a great place to start! However, in general you should have logical reasons to start an experiment. For example, I wouldn't suggest doing an experiment on how eating grains of rice will affect the rate it takes to microwave noodles, because I can't think of a way the two would be related. But, I might test whether eating a bowl of rice every night affects the rate at which I run the next morning because carbohydrates contain chemical energy that organisms convert and use. Another thing to consider is that psychological/social experiments tend to be both very interesting and don't require too much arcane knowledge when it comes to selecting a project that has yet to be done. Some examples of these are the popular lie related experiments. I've read really cool articles about the consistencies between the way people act when they lie compared to when they tell the truth, and why these consistencies occur. Another idea to think about is the science topics that interest you. Are you into biology? Environmental science? Although these topics may require a great deal of knowledge in the field to think of an experiment that hasn't been done yet, you should still give it a shot if you're really passionate about the subject. I hope this helped! We would love to hear about the experiment you come up with :D
PandaPerson

Post by PandaPerson »

Hi, again!
I need only a little help for ideas this time. I need a catchy title for my project which is The Science Behind Tsunamis: Study the Effect of Water Depth on Wave Velocity. I can't find many so I need a few ideas.
Thanks! :D
janet101

Post by janet101 »

sunmoonstars wrote:Hi PandaPerson,

I think you can use the words "tsunami wave velocity and water depth" in a google search to find many results. The best ones are usually from a university or science website, so look for those. I found a couple, but if you look in detail you should be able to find many more. Let me know if you have specific questions you cannot find answers to in your search.

http://www.tulane.edu/~sanelson/Natural ... sunami.htm

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hb ... unami.html

Tonya
Brandon538

Post by Brandon538 »

Hello, I did this experiment and have a question. IN the beginning they said label 6 tubes: 100%,50%, 12.5%, etc and add iodine. Then it said get five new test tubes and label these 1-5. These 5 tubes were the tubes we put in the light and observerd. But my question is what was the point of making the 6 test tubes labeled 100% etc if we didn't put it in light. What do I do with these 6 tes tubes?

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”