How salty does the sea have to be to make an egg float?

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

AprilBaby03

How salty does the sea have to be to make an egg float?

Post by AprilBaby03 »

I am confused on how to find the absolute salt concentration. I have not done chemistry yet. Can you please reply ASAP? Thank you
AprilBaby03

Re: How salty does the sea have to be to make an egg float?

Post by AprilBaby03 »

I read some of the other post and figured out how to find the absolute salt concentration. Now I'm just wondering if I'm supposed to add more solution to cup 2 for the dilution and then add 25% tap water.
trystanloustau
Former Expert

Post by trystanloustau »

Hi. Sounds like a fun project! In step 4, add 3/4 cup of water to cup #2 and then add 3/4 cup of the sock solution. You add 3/4 cup of water to the remaining cups as well, but not straight stock solution. Instead, after you have mixed the stock solution and the water in cup 2, take 3/4 of the whole thing and mix it in the water in cup 3 to create a less concentrated solution. Then, take 3/4 of the newly made solution in cup three and mix it with the water in cup 4.

Good luck!
Trystan
AprilBaby03

Post by AprilBaby03 »

Thank you!!
ZacharyThomas

Post by ZacharyThomas »

hey guys thank you for your time in advance i just want to know if this is a good idea but instead have 5 cup and put in 25 gram of salt except cup 5 which you put 50 grams.
PharmaMan
Expert
Project Question: Registration as an Expert
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by PharmaMan »

Hi Zachary,

If you use only 25g of salt for the stock solution, it may be too low to perform the experiment. Additionally, cup 5 should still serve as the negative control (plain tap water). This is a necessary control to which you will compare the rest of your experimental conditions.

Let us know if you have further questions.

Pharma

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”