How do I identifi limestone rocks?

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

TheTropicalTiki

How do I identifi limestone rocks?

Post by TheTropicalTiki »

I have looked everywhere on the internet how to know if you have a limestone rock! And I can't find anything on it I need some help doing this becuase I need to start testing my project that involves limestone. I have 2 rocks that look like limestone ones flat and ones a regular looking rock. I just don't know if there limestone. Thanks
324B21
Former Expert
Project Question: Setting up an account to hopefully volunteer and help others learn and enjoy science!
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: How do I identifi limestone rocks?

Post by 324B21 »

Hi there.

It sounds like you are doing a great job so far! Investigation is always the hardest part. Let me give you a few hints here on some limestone properties. You are going to be looking for a rock that is somewhere between a yellow and a light grey. he Pyramids in Egypt were carved from limestone! Limestone is a very hard rock, so try and crumble it in your hand or fingers. If it starts to come off in your hand, then you don't have limestone. It is very possible that if you have limestone you have something that has fossil imprints in it. See if you can spot any areas where marine life might have been.

Hope this gets you started on the right track. Feel free to reach back out to us if you have other questions!

Elizabeth
TheTropicalTiki

Post by TheTropicalTiki »

324B21 wrote:Hi there.

It sounds like you are doing a great job so far! Investigation is always the hardest part. Let me give you a few hints here on some limestone properties. You are going to be looking for a rock that is somewhere between a yellow and a light grey. he Pyramids in Egypt were carved from limestone! Limestone is a very hard rock, so try and crumble it in your hand or fingers. If it starts to come off in your hand, then you don't have limestone. It is very possible that if you have limestone you have something that has fossil imprints in it. See if you can spot any areas where marine life might have been.

Hope this gets you started on the right track. Feel free to reach back out to us if you have other questions!

Elizabeth
Thank You! This helps, it doesn't crumble in my hand it is a pretty hard rock but I'm not sure I see any fossils in them, but I do see black spots in them could that be the fossils In it? I found something right after I posted this it said if you make acidic water (lemon juice mix with water) and it breaks apart it is limestone but my 2 rocks never did? I left them out for 2 nights and dident see changes in them. So I'm still not sure if it's limestone.
PharmaMan
Expert
Project Question: Registration as an Expert
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by PharmaMan »

Hello,

When you did your acid test, did you notice any fizzing of the rock? During an acid test of limestone (like the lemon juice test that you mentioned or a vinegar test), the presence of calcium carbonate in the rock will cause the rock to fizz. If nothing happened during your test, it is possible that your water was either not acidic enough, or you do not have a limestone. Let us know and we can try to help you further.

Best,
Pharma

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”