Greenhouse gases

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

lakshu_s

Greenhouse gases

Post by lakshu_s »

I am trying to find what amount of carbondioxide affects the temperature change in atmosphere. Can somebody help me how to place carbondioxide in vaccum bell jar. Hope we need to use dry ice. how to handle that. And where to get dry ice and vaccum bell jar. How to place. Can you please guide me.
jskanderson
Former Student Expert

Re: Greenhouse gases

Post by jskanderson »

Hi Lakshu! I assume that you are trying to do a project relating to greenhouse gases, and that's awesome! Way to be conscious about the environment!
Are you trying to test the effect of the amount of carbon dioxide on the change in temperature in a controlled environment?
If so, a vacuum bell jar may not be the best option for this project, as a vacuum bell jar specifically functions as a chamber that has all gases pumped out of it (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_jar), and thus couldn't have a certain amount of carbon dioxide placed in it.

However, fear not! It is still very possible for you to conduct an experiment testing the effect of carbon dioxide on the change in temperature! You can find similar projects to do right here on Science Buddies, and here's one that might interest you: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ml#summary

I additionally did some searching on Google, and there are several other similar projects you could complete (if you still have enough time!) based on the same topic that you're interested in. Here are some links:
"Does Carbon Dioxide Raise the Temperature of the Atmosphere?": http://www.education.com/science-fair/a ... tmosphere/
"CO2 and Global Warming": http://www.all-science-fair-projects.co ... 121_1.html

(Just as a precaution, some of these experiments do require materials that may not be available in your house and parental supervision!)

Good luck with your project, and please let me know if you have any questions/concerns, and I will try to help you out as best I can!
~ Call me JSK :D
"Be the person who you wish to see in the world."
catherineM99
Former Expert

Post by catherineM99 »

Dear Lakshu,

I love that your project investigates climate change! Just to add onto jskanderson’s response, I also think that the vacuum bell jar wouldn’t be the best way to test this. Remember- a vacuum bell jar removes all gases, while the atmosphere is full of gases. To start off with, the climate is too complicated to be perfectly simulated by models or experiments. However, the data gathered is still useful. I found an experiment that simulates the effect of greenhouse gases on the atmosphere. It is straightforward and I feel is more comprehensive of global warming. You can find it at this link: http://www.starhop.com/library/pdf/stud ... ojar-7.pdf

Hope this helps, and let me know if you have any more questions!

Sincerely,
Catherine M.
lakshu_s

Post by lakshu_s »

Thanks Anderson and Catherine. Yes i got what you are saying. But actually the idea of using Vaccum bell jar came from the project in the below link
http://www.projects.juliantrubin.com/sc ... ide_1.html

I still have more time to think and finish this project. I can pursue with the similar project which anderson suggested.Please let me know if anyone can guide me as I do this project for any questions.

Thanks,
Lakshu
lakshu_s

Post by lakshu_s »

Hi,

Please let me know if the topic I selected is good for 6th grade and is a eligible to win the award kind of topic . If so does the project below is good to choose from metric stand point.

"CO2 and Global Warming": http://www.all-science-fair-projects.co ... 121_1.html

In my 5th grade I did project on " Are Banana Briquettes an Energy Efficient and Eco-Friendly Bio-Fuel?" I found if Banana Briquettes is more energy efficient and enviornmentally friendly substitute for coal. I really loved this experiment and got me placed in science fair.

Looking forward for your support.

Thanks,
Mrudula
jskanderson
Former Student Expert

Post by jskanderson »

lakshu_s wrote:Hi,

Please let me know if the topic I selected is good for 6th grade and is a eligible to win the award kind of topic . If so does the project below is good to choose from metric stand point.

In my 5th grade I did project on " Are Banana Briquettes an Energy Efficient and Eco-Friendly Bio-Fuel?" I found if Banana Briquettes is more energy efficient and enviornmentally friendly substitute for coal. I really loved this experiment and got me placed in science fair.

Looking forward for your support.

Thanks,
Mrudula

Hi Lakshu! I saw that you got your project from the other website, and so I understand where your concerns are coming from, especially regarding the dry ice! You can get dry ice (solid carbon dioxide, which you can put in a cup) at a local grocery store (but you may need your parents to come with you). You also will need parental supervision when handling dry ice, if you're still considering doing this project.

However, the project "CO2 and Global Warming" seems much less complicated in terms of getting the right materials and executing the project effectively. I'm glad you've decided to select this project! In terms of getting an award, you potentially could; however, remember that this shouldn't be the only purpose/reason you're doing science fair! :D

And your 5th grade project sounds awesome! (Wish I did eco-friendly science fair projects back in elementary school)

Let me know if you have any more questions/concerns! I, along with a group of Experts, can guide you in whichever project you choose!

-JSK
lakshu_s

Post by lakshu_s »

Hi JSK,
So do you think if the below project is ok to do?
In the above project they mentioned to use Vaccum bell jar and you mentioned in your response that Vaccum bell jar wouldn’t be best way to test this experiment. Please clarifiy.

Otherwise I will stick to "CO2 and Global Warming": http://www.all-science-fair-projects.co ... 121_1.html

Thanks,
Lakshu
jskanderson
Former Student Expert

Post by jskanderson »

Hi Lakshu,

Yes, it is okay for you to do EITHER project; it's honestly up to you (you are the one who makes the ultimate choice between two projects :))! Just know that whether you choose the project with the vacuum bell jar or the "CO2 and Global Warming" project, we will try to guide you as much as possible.

I stated before that the vacuum bell jar wasn't the best way to model the atmosphere because I didn't originally understand the concept of using the bell jar in the described experiment, but after looking at the procedures, I understand the purpose of the bell jar. Sorry for any miscommunication! :D

-JSK
lakshu_s

Post by lakshu_s »

Hi JSK,

Thanks for your reply. Yes I wish to proceed with the below project.

To start with please let me know where to get the below materials : Vaccum bell jar, Barometer, solid carbon dioxide, Vaccum pump. Do you think I should get any other material. Hope they are not too costly :-(

I am planning to start this project in 2 weeks.

Thanks,
Lakshu
jskanderson
Former Student Expert

Post by jskanderson »

Hi Lakshu,

Awesome! Okay, so in order to get a vacuum bell jar, you either have to order online (which will be costly :( ) or get one from a local school and/or university lab. Barometers are definitely not as expensive as vacuum bell jars; however, if you can, also try to obtain one from your local university/school. My only concern regarding the barometer is that in the website, it states that the experiment uses the barometer to "measure 15 mm mercury", and mercury barometers are a bit costly (not to mention old fashioned!). Like I said earlier, solid carbon dioxide (you suggested dry ice in your original question) can probably be bought at your local grocery store with parental guidance and supervision (you'll need your parent to also help you handle the dry ice!). A vacuum pump can mostly likely be found at your local hardware store, or on Amazon.com. You should probably get any other materials that are used in the procedures of the experiment :D

-JSK
lakshu_s

Post by lakshu_s »

Hi JSK,

I tried from couple of places.. I could'nt get either barometer or vaccum bell jar. When I carefully reviewed both the projects I selected, as you mentioned "CO2 and Global Warming" seems to be less complicated. If I understood correctly, the concept for both the projects are same. Also we can get the materials easily. Let me research for getting the right materials and get back. Let me know your thoughts.
Thanks,
Lakshu
jskanderson
Former Student Expert

Post by jskanderson »

lakshu_s wrote:Hi JSK,

I tried from couple of places.. I could'nt get either barometer or vaccum bell jar. When I carefully reviewed both the projects I selected, as you mentioned "CO2 and Global Warming" seems to be less complicated. If I understood correctly, the concept for both the projects are same. Also we can get the materials easily. Let me research for getting the right materials and get back. Let me know your thoughts.
Thanks,
Lakshu
Hey Lakshu,

Yes, the "CO2 and Global Warming" and the current project have the same general idea of finding out the effect of carbon dioxide on the atmosphere! If you feel that "CO2 and Global Warming" will allow you to perform the experiment with less trouble (because I know that getting materials, especially expensive ones, can be a real hassle!), then I suggest that you do the CO2 and Global Warming project instead. Materials should never hinder you from exploring science! :)
Let me know if you have any other concerns! Hopefully you won't have trouble with materials for the CO2 and Global Warming project!

-JSK
lakshu_s

Post by lakshu_s »

Hi JSK,
Thanks so much. I am going to get materials for CO2 and Global Warming next week. I am planning to go to Petsmart for fish tank. Hope there they will have fish tank with air tight covers. I am just thinking the below procedure is going to somewhat tricky
The third water tank is filled with air from the car exhaust. The open end of the plastic bag is wrapped around the exhaust of the car in such a way that the smoke from the exhaust will fill the bag. The plastic bag is fixed to the exhaust using masking tape. On the other end of the plastic bag, a small hole is made and the meter-long hose in inserted to a depth of about 5 cm. The hose is also fixed in place using the masking tape. The other end of the hose is inserted into a small opening in the tank cover, and the masking tape is used to seal the hose in its place. The car engine is started and left to run for 3 minutes with the help of the assistant and the smoke from the exhaust will be forced into the water tank. The tank is then sealed air tight with the cover and masking tape.
Please let me know your ideas to this part of testing. Hope I should get right hose to insert in the car. 
Thanks,
Lakshita
jskanderson
Former Student Expert

Post by jskanderson »

lakshu_s wrote:Hi JSK,
Thanks so much. I am going to get materials for CO2 and Global Warming next week. I am planning to go to Petsmart for fish tank. Hope there they will have fish tank with air tight covers. I am just thinking the below procedure is going to somewhat tricky
The third water tank is filled with air from the car exhaust. The open end of the plastic bag is wrapped around the exhaust of the car in such a way that the smoke from the exhaust will fill the bag. The plastic bag is fixed to the exhaust using masking tape. On the other end of the plastic bag, a small hole is made and the meter-long hose in inserted to a depth of about 5 cm. The hose is also fixed in place using the masking tape. The other end of the hose is inserted into a small opening in the tank cover, and the masking tape is used to seal the hose in its place. The car engine is started and left to run for 3 minutes with the help of the assistant and the smoke from the exhaust will be forced into the water tank. The tank is then sealed air tight with the cover and masking tape.
Please let me know your ideas to this part of testing. Hope I should get right hose to insert in the car. 
Thanks,
Lakshita
Hey Lakshita,

I completely understand your concern with getting the materials; I tried searching in many different stores, and while not many of them offered specifically fish tanks with airtight covers, they did have many cheap fish tanks with covers that had a single hole. My suggestion is that you ask for cheap fish tanks (it shouldn't cost you more than $25 each; after all, this project is estimated to cost $90 and that already is expensive), and then just drill in the small 15-20 mm hole in each one (please have an adult/parent do this! no injuries!!) if there isn't already a hole. Then wrap masking tape attaching the cover to the tank so that it becomes airtight. ( :lol: You're probably going to use masking tape quite a bit!) Please ask the store employees about this, and explain your project to them! They will probably try to assist you as best as they can!

As for that part of the procedure, I agree, it is somewhat tricky. However, try to follow the instructions as best as possible, and remember that it's okay to modify the instructions a bit, as long as you're consistent. Please remember that when you're doing this part of the experiment that the car needs to be in a well-ventilated garage. And please have your parents/trusted adult guide you through this, and do not stay in the garage while the car is pumping exhaust gas into the tank. After 2-3 minutes are up, please have a parent supervise as you seal the tank. I want you to be as safe as possible!

If you have any more questions/concerns, please ask! Hope this helped!

-JSK
lakshu_s

Post by lakshu_s »

Thanks sooo much JSK. I asked in PETCO for fishtank. They said they carry few with holes in it.
And there are air tight covers there. But I need to go and take a look. Also as you mentioned
I will wrap the cover with masking tape so that it is air tight. I will keep you posted as I progress.
Thanks once again.

Lakshita

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”