Asking a Scientific Question

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

kat09

Asking a Scientific Question

Post by kat09 »

I'd like to find a good scientific question for a science fair project involving finding the epicenter of an earthquake with archived information from seismometer stations. It's actually a ScienceBuddies project: "Locating an Earthquake Using a Global Seismic Network." The question should follow the layout of: "How does changing the (independent variable) affect the (measurement) of the (dependent variable)?" I'm afraid I picked a bit of a bad project for a question like that, but please give me any suggestions you might have!
donnahardy2
Former Expert

Re: Asking a Scientific Question

Post by donnahardy2 »

Hi kat09,

Welcome to Science Buddies!

I think you are doing this excellent project from this website:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... p018.shtml

I think the problem you are having is that normally you would write your project problem in advance of doing the experiment; with an earthquake that has already happened this is nor possible. However, In your project, the independent variables are the overlap of the S and P waves, the dependent variable is the epicenter of the earthquake. So you might write a project question like this:

If a seismogram is available, then it will be possible to use the S and P waves to identify the epicenter of an earthquake.
You should try writing the question in your own words also. Here is a discussion on writing the project question from this website:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... tion.shtml

I hope this helps! Let us know if you need any additional information. .

Donna
kat09

Re: Asking a Scientific Question

Post by kat09 »

Thanks! Your response got me to think a little more clearly about how scientific questions need to reflect the project they're about. I think I'll discuss the flexibility of the question with my teacher, and I have an idea of what I want to do. I really appreciate your help!

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”