where is waldo

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

angelvu16

where is waldo

Post by angelvu16 »

I have a question. I don't know where to start my experiment. The link to download the software doesn't work for my computer and I don't know what to do now. My project is due next week so I don't really know how to start my project. Like how do I created a visual search. Can I just make one like with the draw feature in my google account. Or do I have to download a software to make a visual search. Please help me. Thank u
pswiatko
Expert

Re: where is waldo

Post by pswiatko »

Hi angelvu16,

Are you using Windows or Apple computer? All download links work for me so I'm not sure why it doesn't work for you...

If you're having problems running the software and not downloading, you'll need to install Java (see the link below).

https://www.java.com/en/download/

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Peter S.
MrsDez
Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by MrsDez »

angelvu16 wrote:I have a question. I don't know where to start my experiment. The link to download the software doesn't work for my computer and I don't know what to do now. My project is due next week so I don't really know how to start my project. Like how do I created a visual search. Can I just make one like with the draw feature in my google account. Or do I have to download a software to make a visual search. Please help me. Thank u
Hi,

What project are you working on? I'm not exactly sure what you mean by making a visual search, but I can take a look at the project to see if I can figure out what you are having problem with.

MrsDez
willrosenthal
Former Expert

Post by willrosenthal »

Hi,

If the software is still unable to run, you may need to run the applet's downloadable version. I'm assuming you've seen these instructions already, but if not, here they are:

Experimental Procedure

In your web browser, go to the Cognitive Science Visual Search (http://cognitrn.psych.indiana.edu/Cogsc ... ualSearch/) page developed by Dr. Tom Busey.
Depending upon what Internet browser you have and whether the necessary Java is enabled on your computer, you will either need to run the Java applet directly from the webpage or download the software on your computer before using it. Many modern browsers (as of 2014) have trouble running Java applets due to security settings, so you may need to use the downloadable version.
To use the Java applet simply select the "Run Applet" button (under "Software").
Or to download the software, click on the movie link and follow the instructions to download the software to your desktop. After you have downloaded and copied the necessary files, start the Visual Search Experiment by clicking on the Visual Search icon on your desktop.
In the Visual Search applet or downloaded program, select the "Targets" tab at the top. Your page should look like Figure 2 below.

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”