Redox reaction at different temperatures

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

AndrewBouchard

Redox reaction at different temperatures

Post by AndrewBouchard »

Once insert Copper into Silver Nitrate with three variables of temperature (Silver Nitrate - Hot, Cold and Ambient Temperature), will the crystallization have any end results that could differ in size and color?
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Redox reaction at different temperatures

Post by tdaly »

Hi AndrewBouchard,

It sounds like your question is related to a homework problem, rather than to a science fair project. These forums are for questions related to science fair projects, so a different set of online forums would be better able to help you. If I'm mistaken and your question is related to a science fair project, what is the hypothesis you are trying to test?
All the best,
Terik
AndrewBouchard

Post by AndrewBouchard »

Terik:
Thank you for addressing the question, it is a science project that my son and I are working for his science fair. The hypothesis for this project that the crystallization that will happen with the reaction between the silver nitrate (at different temperatures) with copper, is that the crystals will vary in size and color within different time formations.
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by tdaly »

Hi AndrewBouchard,

Thank you for clarifying! Are you planning to do an experiment similar to this one? (Putting a piece of copper metal into a solution of silver nitrate?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tKTEZgHB1M

The rate of the chemical reaction - and therefore silver production and crystal growth - will depend on the temperature. So, if you grow the crystals for a fixed amount of time, but vary the temperature of the solution, then you may be able to see differences in crystal sizes. You might need to do a bit of experimenting beforehand to decide what temperature increments you need to get perceptible differences in the sizes of the silver crystals. But, as a start you could do the reaction in an ice bath, at room temperature, and in a warm bath at, say, 50C and see if you observe differences after a fixed amount of time.

I hope that helps. Post back if you have other questions or if something that I've said is unclear!
All the best,
Terik
AndrewBouchard

Post by AndrewBouchard »

Terik:

Thank you very much

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”