Trouble growing bacteria in petri dishes

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

aalee

Trouble growing bacteria in petri dishes

Post by aalee »

I am growing unknown bacteria that i collected from my house floor for my science fair experiment. I'm testing whether the five second rule is real. I ordered a petri dish kit with nutrient agar, sterile swabs for collecting the bacteria, and sterile plates. I put them in the darkest place in my house which is approximately 70 degrees F to grow. It's been more than 48 hours but I'm not seeing anything on the surface of the petri dishes. I need to finish this experiment and turn in my results very soon. What am i doing wrong? Should i redo my experiment? Please help!!!
jskanderson
Former Student Expert

Re: Trouble growing bacteria in petri dishes

Post by jskanderson »

aalee wrote:I am growing unknown bacteria that i collected from my house floor for my science fair experiment. I'm testing whether the five second rule is real. I ordered a petri dish kit with nutrient agar, sterile swabs for collecting the bacteria, and sterile plates. I put them in the darkest place in my house which is approximately 70 degrees F to grow. It's been more than 48 hours but I'm not seeing anything on the surface of the petri dishes. I need to finish this experiment and turn in my results very soon. What am i doing wrong? Should i redo my experiment? Please help!!!
Hi Aalee,

If the petri dishes came pre-made in the kit, then the cause of the lack of bacterial growth might be due to temperature. There is a likely chance that 70 degrees Fahrenheit won't be warm enough to culture the bacteria, so I would suggest redoing the data collection (swabbing the floor for bacteria and streaking onto the petri dishes) and placing the petri dishes in a dark place that's at least 75-85 degrees Fahrenheit.

Perhaps this video will help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0b6_kg2oMc

Hope this helped!

-JSK
~ Call me JSK :D
"Be the person who you wish to see in the world."
aalee

Post by aalee »

Hello, JSK

Thank you so much for your reply! was just wondering, should I order a new petri dish kit online or reuse the pertri dishes that I already have and sterilize them again? And also, I am using snack crackers that have a small amount of salt on the surface to drop on the floor, pick up after 5 seconds, and swab for data. My father told me that the salt could kill the bacteria, and that I should use plain bread instead. Is my father correct?
allisontu
Former Student Expert

Post by allisontu »

Hi Aalee,

If you are using a reusable type of petri dishes (the glass ones), you can go ahead and sterilize them (by placing them in boiling water for at least 15 minutes, then carefully removing them with tongs and placing them on a clean surface to cool) and reuse them. However, if you used the disposable plastic ones, I would recommend ordering a new kit since most methods to sterilize plastic dishes won't kill all the bacteria.

Your father is correct about the salt: salt is attracted to and absorbs water. This means that it can suck the water out of cells, causing them to die. I would use a piece of plain bread for your experiment.

Hope this helped,
Allison
ericrgonz

Post by ericrgonz »

Hi Aalee,

Bacterial growth at room temperature is pretty slow. If you don't have access to an incubator or something like it, you'll want to wait a week or so before writing off the plates as failures.

Just to be safe, though, you should consider leaving one plate without any swabbing as a negative control :D

-EG

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”