Title and research for the ferrofluid cleaning oil spills project

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

PandaPerson

Title and research for the ferrofluid cleaning oil spills project

Post by PandaPerson »

Hi!
I chose the "Can Nanotechnology Help Clean Up Ocean Oil Spills? Try It Yourself with Ferrofluid" project for my science fair project, but I need a little help for a few things. First, I have to do some background research, but I cannot find a lot of things to write about. Do you have any recommended websites to look at for references? Second, I need a good title for the project. The original project title: "Can Nanotechnology Help Clean Up Ocean Oil Spills? Try It Yourself with Ferrofluid" is clearly too long. I was thinking "Cleaning up oil Spills" is a good, short title that I could use, but I want to hear other ideas.
Thank you!
willrosenthal
Former Expert

Re: Title and research for the ferrofluid cleaning oil spills project

Post by willrosenthal »

Hello,
I had a few ideas for your title:
a) "Scaling down oil spill cleanups"
b) "Small Steps - Cleaning up our Ocean's Oil Spills using Nanotechnology"
c) "Tiny Solution to a Big Problem - Cleaning up our Ocean's Oil Spills using Nanotechnology"
d) basically anything to do with the fact that nanotechnology deals with very small dimensions combined with cleaning up oil spills

Of course, your title idea was fine as well, feel free to use that if you don't like any of my ideas.

As far as resources/background info, here are a few links:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/21/tech/oil-spill-magnets/

http://phys.org/news/2016-10-nanotechno ... s-oil.html

http://www.nanowerk.com/spotlight/spotid=20215.php

https://www.insidescience.org/news/new- ... oil-spills

Good luck with your project!
PandaPerson

"Purpose" for the ferrofluid cleaning oil spills project

Post by PandaPerson »

Hello again!
Thank you for the help before, but I have come across another question. For my project, I need to write the "purpose" of the project. I wrote, "The purpose of this project is to determine how nanotechnology assists in cleaning oil spills in the oceans." I'm not sure if this is clear or if this is the precise purpose of the project, so my question is if what I wrote is good for the project."
Thanks again!
MrsDez
Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: "Purpose" for the ferrofluid cleaning oil spills project

Post by MrsDez »

PandaPerson wrote:Hello again!
Thank you for the help before, but I have come across another question. For my project, I need to write the "purpose" of the project. I wrote, "The purpose of this project is to determine how nanotechnology assists in cleaning oil spills in the oceans." I'm not sure if this is clear or if this is the precise purpose of the project, so my question is if what I wrote is good for the project."
Thanks again!
Yes, that will work for the purpose. You can also write is as "... if nanotechnology assists..."
PandaPerson

Research for the ferrofluid cleaning oil spills project

Post by PandaPerson »

Hello, again!
I have done a lot of background research for this project already, but I would like to add an example of when people used magnetism to clean a real ocean oil spill. I tried doing online research to find examples, but I can't seem to find one. What oil spill is an example of when magnetic nanotechnology was used?
Thanks!

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”