Greenhouse gases

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

jskanderson
Former Student Expert

Re: Greenhouse gases

Post by jskanderson »

lakshu_s wrote:Thanks sooo much JSK. I asked in PETCO for fishtank. They said they carry few with holes in it.
And there are air tight covers there. But I need to go and take a look. Also as you mentioned
I will wrap the cover with masking tape so that it is air tight. I will keep you posted as I progress.
Thanks once again.

Lakshita
Hey Lakshita,

No problem, always here to help! I'm glad that there are airtight covers in PETCO! Keep me posted and I'll try to respond as soon as possible! :)

-JSK
~ Call me JSK :D
"Be the person who you wish to see in the world."
lakshu_s

Post by lakshu_s »

Hi JSK,

Need your help finding fish tank with small hole. I tried in many places. In petco and other stores they carry
only fish tank with large hole (larger than 15mm -20mm diameter) :-(

Did you happen to see anywhere online so I can order. I understand we would not get airtight lids and we can make airtight using mask tapes.

Thanks,
Lakshita
jskanderson
Former Student Expert

Post by jskanderson »

lakshu_s wrote:Hi JSK,

Need your help finding fish tank with small hole. I tried in many places. In petco and other stores they carry
only fish tank with large hole (larger than 15mm -20mm diameter) :-(

Did you happen to see anywhere online so I can order. I understand we would not get airtight lids and we can make airtight using mask tapes.

Thanks,
Lakshita
Hey Lakshita,

I've done some searching and pulled up these results:

"API Aquarium Starter Kit" - https://www.chewy.com/api-aquariums-tro ... lsrc=aw.ds

This list from Walmart of cheap fish tanks - https://www.walmart.com/browse/pets/aqu ... 074_202101

If you search the phrase "cheap fish tanks" many results should come up with covers with a hole in it. The hole may be too big, but if you have already found the rubber hose 15-20mm in diameter and find that it is difficult to get a rubber hose with any other diameter, then just wrap duct tape over the hose and the hole area to make that area airtight. Remember that the goal is to either find a hole that is 15-20mm, or a rubber hose with the same diameter as the hole in the fish tank cover that you bought (so doesn't necessarily have to be 15-20mm).

Let me know of what you think or have decided on, or whether you've discovered anything! Please keep me posted!

-JSK
lakshu_s

Post by lakshu_s »

Hi JSK,

For this experiment can you please suggest me which plastic bag I should use. Because if it is thin then I will not be able to insert rubber hose and it is going to tear. I am wondering which one to use.

Thanks,
Lakshita
Last edited by lakshu_s on Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lakshu_s

Post by lakshu_s »

Hi JSK,
Thanks so much for my previous email. Just now seeing your email. I don't know for what reason I was not able to view it before. It just popped up when I sent you reply :-) I am planning to go for walmart Aqua Culture 1 Gallon Aquarium Starter Kit. Hope this is correct.
Yes I found 15-20 mm diameter rubber hose in walmart only. As you suggested, I will wrap around masking tape to make it air tight. I am planning to start this project after Thanks giving. Due date is Jan 18th. Hopefully all these materials will help me to proceed. Can you also suggest me which plastic bag I should get.
Thanks,
Lakshita
lakshu_s

Post by lakshu_s »

Hi JSK,

I got all my materials except plastic bag to tie to car exhaust. I also started documenting. Can you please suggest me which Plastic bag I should use.
I will share with you the documentation as and when I progress. Thanks so much for your help.

Thanks,
Lakshu
jskanderson
Former Student Expert

Post by jskanderson »

lakshu_s wrote:Hi JSK,

I got all my materials except plastic bag to tie to car exhaust. I also started documenting. Can you please suggest me which Plastic bag I should use.
I will share with you the documentation as and when I progress. Thanks so much for your help.

Thanks,
Lakshu
Hey Lakshu,

So sorry I didn't see your previous posts! (I dearly apologize for replying a few weeks late!) That's awesome that you've started your experiment/data collecting already! As for which bag to use, I would suggest either getting bags like the black plastic trashcan bags (slightly stronger than your average HEB plastic bags) or even just layering plastic bags (perhaps you could put a plastic bag inside another plastic bag so that if the outer rips, the inner bag will still contain the CO2)!

Once again, my apologies for replying this late! Good luck with your data collection, and like always, feel free to ask questions/voice concerns about your project!

-JSK
lakshu_s

Post by lakshu_s »

Dear JSK,
Thanks so much for replying. Sure I will get black plastic trash bag. Yes I started my experiment last week with normal air. It came correctly so far. I started preparing documentation too. can you please check if the below looks good for you. In my class my science teacher mentioned the first part of the hypothesis should specify IV and second part should have DV. Please let me know if any changes need to be made below

Title: Does the effect of Carbon dioxide levels in the atmosphere causes Global Warming?
(The rate at which the temperature falls for each Carbon dioxide level with Time)

Question: Will an increased level of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere contribute to rise in Global temperatures?

Variables:
Independent Variables: Time of observation
Dependent Variables: Temperature variation (for each Carbon dioxide level)
Controlled Variables: Normal Air
Constant: Environmental location, Initial temperature of the air in the tank, Type of the soil, Amount of the soil at the base of the tank, Volume of the tank

Hypothesis: If Carbon dioxide level in the atmosphere increases for a period of time, then the rate at which the temperature of the air cools down will be slow contributing to the rise in average temperature of the Earth’s atmosphere and result in Global Warming.

Thanks so much
Lakshita
lakshu_s

Post by lakshu_s »

Dear JSK,
Can you please look at my title, question, hypothesis and variables and let me know if any changes.

Thanks,
Lakshita
jskanderson
Former Student Expert

Post by jskanderson »

lakshu_s wrote:Dear JSK,
Thanks so much for replying. Sure I will get black plastic trash bag. Yes I started my experiment last week with normal air. It came correctly so far. I started preparing documentation too. can you please check if the below looks good for you. In my class my science teacher mentioned the first part of the hypothesis should specify IV and second part should have DV. Please let me know if any changes need to be made below

Title: Does the effect of Carbon dioxide levels in the atmosphere causes Global Warming?
(The rate at which the temperature falls for each Carbon dioxide level with Time)

Question: Will an increased level of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere contribute to rise in Global temperatures?

Variables:
Independent Variables: Time of observation
Dependent Variables: Temperature variation (for each Carbon dioxide level)
Controlled Variables: Normal Air
Constant: Environmental location, Initial temperature of the air in the tank, Type of the soil, Amount of the soil at the base of the tank, Volume of the tank

Hypothesis: If Carbon dioxide level in the atmosphere increases for a period of time, then the rate at which the temperature of the air cools down will be slow contributing to the rise in average temperature of the Earth’s atmosphere and result in Global Warming.

Thanks so much
Lakshita
Hey Lakshita,

Awesome, glad to hear that the project is going well for you so far, and that you've already started on documentation! Just a quick note, since your title, "Will an increased level of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere contribute to rise in Global temperatures?", indicates that you're testing the effect of carbon dioxide level on temperature variation, your independent variable should be 'carbon dioxide level' rather than 'time of observation'. Thus, your conclusion may change slightly to just say:
'If the carbon dioxide level in the atmosphere increases, then the rate at which the temperature of the air cools down will be slow, contributing to the rise in average temperature of the Earth’s atmosphere and result in global warming.'

Hope this helped!

-JSK
lakshu_s

Post by lakshu_s »

Dear JSK,

Thanks for your explanation. Yes in my class they taught us that first part of the hypothesis will be independent variable. In that case the x-axis for graph should be carbon dioxide level right?

Can you please help me clarify my old project for my better understanding incase if I want to modify the old project and use it as a model for my documentation:

Title: Are Banana Briquettes an energy efficient and ecofriendly Biofuel?
(The degree of rise of temperature and the amount of joules of energy for every fuel with Time)

Question:
Do Banana Briquettes serve as a more energy efficient and environmentally friendly substitute for coal?

Variables:
Independent Variables: Time of observation for every fuel (coal vs banana briquettes vs coal & banana briquettes)
Dependent Variables: Degree of rise of temperature and amount of joules of energy
Constant: Environmental location, amount of water for heating

Hypothesis:
If banana briquettes are used as a biofuel, then it could be an alternative energy source for coal and more ecofriendly.

Can you also clarify what would be the controlled group in this case? hope controlled variables and controlled group are different right?

Thanks for your time. I am really confused on how to chose the title and variables.

Thanks,
Lakshu
lakshu_s

Post by lakshu_s »

Dear JSK,

Based on your last email, I modified my previous project as below. Can you please check and let me know if this makes more sense. Your direction helps me for my better understanding on how to phrase the hypothesis and variables.

(The degree of rise of temperature and the amount of joules of energy for every fuel with Time)

Question:
Is there any fuel which serves as a more energy efficient and environmentally friendly substitute for Coal?
Variables:
Independent Variables: Fuel type (Coal VS Banana Briquettes VS Coal & Banana Briquettes)
Dependent Variables: Degree of rise of temperature and amount of joules of energy for every fuel in 6 minutes
Constant: Environmental location, amount of water for heating, time measured for burning, weight of the fuel
Hypothesis:
If banana briquettes are used as a fuel, then the degree of rise of temperature and heat energy is high and hence could be an alternative energy source for coal and more ecofriendly.

Also please guide me in this case how to develop the graph.

Thanks,
Lakshu
lakshu_s

Post by lakshu_s »

Dear JSK,

I opened a new subject line Biofuels. Please look into this subject line for my other project and help me understand please.

Thanks,
Lakshu
jskanderson
Former Student Expert

Post by jskanderson »

lakshu_s wrote:Dear JSK,

Thanks for your explanation. Yes in my class they taught us that first part of the hypothesis will be independent variable. In that case the x-axis for graph should be carbon dioxide level right?

Can you please help me clarify my old project for my better understanding incase if I want to modify the old project and use it as a model for my documentation:

Question:
Do Banana Briquettes serve as a more energy efficient and environmentally friendly substitute for coal?

Variables:
Independent Variables: Time of observation for every fuel (coal vs banana briquettes vs coal & banana briquettes)
Dependent Variables: Degree of rise of temperature and amount of joules of energy
Constant: Environmental location, amount of water for heating

Hypothesis:
If banana briquettes are used as a biofuel, then it could be an alternative energy source for coal and more ecofriendly.

Can you also clarify what would be the controlled group in this case? hope controlled variables and controlled group are different right?

Thanks for your time. I am really confused on how to chose the title and variables.

Thanks,
Lakshu
Hey Lakshu,

I am slightly confused now. Are you not doing your other project (which was testing the effect of the level of carbon dioxide on the atmosphere (temperature change)), and is this a completely new science fair project? And could you perhaps give details on this new project/modification you are doing now, so that I can try to help out as much as possible? :D

To answer your other question, the graph that you would produce for your old project would look similar to the graph here: http://www.all-science-fair-projects.co ... 121_3.html

And controlled variables and control group are different, yes! However, because I don't exactly know any details about this new project/modification on older project that you're conducting now, I can't tell you what your control group or controlled variables are!

-JSK
lakshu_s

Post by lakshu_s »

Dear JSK,
Yes due to lack of time and shifting our home now, my mom recommended to take the project I have already did and make enhancements to it.
I took this project idea from the below link
http://www.virtualsciencefair.org/2010/zhenxm2

Based on that please let me know if the below information looks good or if any changes required.

Title: Using Banana Peels to Zoom Fast

Are Banana Briquettes an energy efficient and eco-friendly Bio-fuel?

Question: When Banana Briquettes are heated, will it be more energy efficient and environmentally friendly substitute than Coal?

Independent Variables: Time of Observation (in min)
Dependent Variables : Degree of rise of Temperature and the amount of joules of energy for every fuel (coal vs banana briquettes vs co-firing)
Constant: Enviornmental location, amount of water for heating, weight of fuel
Control group: coal

Hypothesis: If Banana Briquettes are heated and measured for a period of time, then the degree of rise of temperature and heat energy is high and hence could be an alternative energy source for coal and more ecofriendly.

Can you please provide me catch title if you think otherwise. I have to submit the science fair project on Jan 18. it is already late :-(

Thanks,
Lakshu

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”