Drainage

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

anagra

Drainage

Post by anagra »

Hey. Can you please explain drainage in more depth? Where does the drainage come from? How can we measure the amount of drainage from a wound? Is more drainage expected from a larger wound? How much drainage is needed to change the bandage covering the wound? Anything along those lines would be nice. Thanks:)
MrsDez
Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Drainage

Post by MrsDez »

anagra wrote:Hey. Can you please explain drainage in more depth? Where does the drainage come from? How can we measure the amount of drainage from a wound? Is more drainage expected from a larger wound? How much drainage is needed to change the bandage covering the wound? Anything along those lines would be nice. Thanks:)
Hi,

Are you researching this topic for a science project? It would help to get more information on what your project idea is so that I can better direct you to the appropriate resources regarding this topic.

Thanks!
anagra

Post by anagra »

Yes, my science project is making a bandage that changes colour so you know when to change it. I thought that the amount of drainage con somehow determine this. If you know anything about this topic please help.
anagra

Wounds

Post by anagra »

Hey. Can you please explain drainage in more depth? Where does the drainage come from? How can we measure the amount of drainage from a wound? Is more drainage expected from a larger wound? How much drainage is needed in order to change the bandage covering the wound? Does drainage come after the wound is closed? What is the temp of it?
Anything along those lines would be nice. Thanks:)
Also can you please help ASAP! I only have a couple weeks.
jskanderson
Former Student Expert

Re: Wounds

Post by jskanderson »

anagra wrote:Hey. Can you please explain drainage in more depth? Where does the drainage come from? How can we measure the amount of drainage from a wound? Is more drainage expected from a larger wound? How much drainage is needed in order to change the bandage covering the wound? Does drainage come after the wound is closed? What is the temp of it?
Anything along those lines would be nice. Thanks:)
Also can you please help ASAP! I only have a couple weeks.
Hi Anagra,

Drainage comes from the body parts affected by the wound (such as the blood vessels in an incision). Wound drainage can be a good indication on the wound healing process (whether the wound is healing correctly or not). For in depth information on wounds, I have compiled a list of websites describing the types of wound drainage, measuring and analyzing the drainage, and additional details.

WARNING: IMAGES ON THESE WEBSITES CONTAIN IMAGES OF WOUNDS THEMSELVES, AND MAY BE GRAPHIC.

Website explaining general wound assessment:
http://woundeducators.com/wound-drainage-and-odor/

Common/Various Types of Wound Drainages:
- common: https://www.advancedtissue.com/common-t ... -drainage/
- various: https://www.advancedtissue.com/explorin ... -drainage/

An excerpt of drainage I found:
- Wound drainage is different depending on the phase of wound healing. Clean wounds have clear serous (straw color) or serosanguinous (light red or pink) odorless liquid drainage of moderate amount. If drainage characteristics change from thin and watery to a thick and opaque yellow, tan, or green with an associated odor, infection may be present. This does not immediately suggest infection, however, because as part of the body’s debridement process dead cells are sloughed off into the clear wound drainage and discolor it grey or brown.
Flush the wound with large amount of normal saline and re-examine to see if the drainage that can be expressed from the wound tissues is clear or otherwise. A total or near-total lack of wound drainage may suggest that the wound is excessively dry. A dry wound bed will not support healing because cells need a moist environment to proliferate.
(website: https://www.atrainceu.com/course-module ... -module-05)

Hope this helped!

-JSK
~ Call me JSK :D
"Be the person who you wish to see in the world."
anagra

Re: Wounds

Post by anagra »

Thanks for that but I still have a couple unanswered questions. I'd be helpful if you could answer then ASAP.
How can we measure the amount of drainage from a wound?
Is more drainage expected from a larger wound?
Is drainage constant throughout the healing process of a wound?
How much drainage is needed in order to change the bandage covering the wound?
What is the temperature of it?
anagra

Post by anagra »

K
Last edited by anagra on Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dcnick96
Former Expert

Post by dcnick96 »

Hello. We noticed you have separate threads going for the same topic. Please keep all questions about your topic in a single thread so the experts can better help you based on what has already been discussed.

Thanks for using Science Buddies, and good luck!
Deana

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”