Fertilizer: Effects on Duckweed Growth

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

mckenzmi
Project Question: How is duckweed growth affected by fertilizer runoff?
Project Due Date: Jan. 18th
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Fertilizer: Effects on Duckweed Growth

Post by mckenzmi »

I am finishing up my research and paper, and am about ready to start my experiment, but I have a couple questions. Is there any recommended fertilizer I should use? My question is "How is duckweed growth affected by fertilizer runoff?" And also, I found from my research that Duckweed grows pretty quickly, but does that mean 1 week, or 5 weeks? I assumed about 3 weeks at most, especially with the fertilizer, but if it['s more than that, I will have to run multiple trials at the same time. Thanks for any help! I really appreciate it :D
nithintumma
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Fertilizer: Effects on Duckweed Growth

Post by nithintumma »

Hello, this sounds like a great project.

I researched the cultivation of duckweed online, and found this article: http://www.ehow.com/how_5474972_cultivate-duckweed.html

The article mentions that duckweed growth can be aided by the addition of commercial aquarium plant fertilizer. However, if you are examinng the effects of fertilizer runoff, I would suggest using fertilizers that are in widespread use on farms and gardens. Here is a link to a site about fertilizers and their ingredients: http://home.howstuffworks.com/question181.htm

I would suggest taking a trip to a local store and looking around for a fertilizer that will fit your needs.

Here is another website about the proper conditions for duckweed growth: http://www.mobot.org/jwcross/duckweed/g ... ckweed.htm

In response to your question about the rate of duckweed's growth, it seems that duckweed grows very quickly, approximately doubling it's mass every two to three days.

Hope this helps, Good Luck

Nithin T
mckenzmi
Project Question: How is duckweed growth affected by fertilizer runoff?
Project Due Date: Jan. 18th
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Post by mckenzmi »

Thank you! This helps a ton! :D
DerrickA

Post by DerrickA »

Thank you, please anyone out there who help me.
I want to begin a project about how colewart(sukuma wiki, an edible leafy plant in East Africa) growth is affected by different types of fertilizers on the market. This can help me advise farmers in my community on which fertilizers to use for best returns.
HOW CAN I STATE MY RESEARCH TOPIC. some one help please.

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”