Identifying Bacteria in yogurt

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Zqchy

Identifying Bacteria in yogurt

Post by Zqchy »

I did a science project for my science fair (of course) and I got the idea from one of your experiments. I tested which company of yogurt has the most bacteria. I used Activia Danone and Yoplait Source. I have kept them in a bacteria incubator for 6 days so far,and have noticed 3 big colonies of bacteria in the Activia Danone and any small (I think) colonies in the Yoplait Source.I would really like to identify them maybe to earn some extra points. My science teacher advised me to do so and said to get in contact with a expert. I don't know if any of you are expert in this domain but I you should be one, I would really really enjoy a response and start to talk. I have my fingers crossed. :D :D :D

~Zachy
ps: sorry if their are any spelling mistakes ....
jskanderson
Former Student Expert

Re: Identifying Bacteria in yogurt

Post by jskanderson »

Zqchy wrote:I did a science project for my science fair (of course) and I got the idea from one of your experiments. I tested which company of yogurt has the most bacteria. I used Activia Danone and Yoplait Source. I have kept them in a bacteria incubator for 6 days so far,and have noticed 3 big colonies of bacteria in the Activia Danone and any small (I think) colonies in the Yoplait Source.I would really like to identify them maybe to earn some extra points. My science teacher advised me to do so and said to get in contact with a expert. I don't know if any of you are expert in this domain but I you should be one, I would really really enjoy a response and start to talk. I have my fingers crossed. :D :D :D

~Zachy
ps: sorry if their are any spelling mistakes ....
Hi Zachy,

While ScienceBuddies Experts are legally not allowed to conduct discussions about your project (which is an awesome idea!) outside of the SciBuddies website, we can totally address any questions we have here on the forums!
Perhaps if you describe the morphology (the colonies' shape, color, size, general appearance) of the colonies you have grown, and provide some more details about your experiment (such as type of agar plate, which I assume is most likely LB agar), I and other experts would definitely be willing to help!

P.S. Are you perhaps doing this wonderful project from SciBuddies: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... #materials ?

-JSK
~ Call me JSK :D
"Be the person who you wish to see in the world."
Zqchy

Post by Zqchy »

Hi Jsk, me again, well what I can say about the morphology is that in the Danone Activia there is one colonie that is bigger than the other so let me start with that one. I has a light beige colour, it's in a shape of a circle and I'd say about a couple millimeters in length. The second largest (in length) is of a pale yellow colour a shape of a circle and probably 2 millimeters in length. Now for the final one, it's colour the same colour as the first one but a bit darker, it's in shape of a circle and might be even 1 millimeter. Sorry if I can't get the exact mesurments it's just that the plats have already been thrown away and I'm basing off of pictures I have taken. Now in the Yoplait Source there are many little dots in the shape of water dropplets falling off of the windscreen of a car, but that little line they leave behind. They are all of the same colour white and less than a millimeter in length. (Some are in that shape that I described and some are just dots.) For the agar plates I'm not too sure which one type of agar was used I'd need to check in on my science teacher. So I will get back to you as soon as I can with that information. I did change the experience as in I used a proper bacteria incubator and I can't seem to find other things that I find important. Thank you so much for your help, it's very much appreciated ! :D

-Zachy
Zqchy

Post by Zqchy »

Hi not to be rude or anything but, I really need help with this, my science fair is on the 30 or March and currently I am on spring break and I would really like to have the information on my board. Sorry again if this sounds rude but I have been waiting almost 2 weeks for a next response.

-Zachy
jskanderson
Former Student Expert

Post by jskanderson »

Zqchy wrote:Hi not to be rude or anything but, I really need help with this, my science fair is on the 30 or March and currently I am on spring break and I would really like to have the information on my board. Sorry again if this sounds rude but I have been waiting almost 2 weeks for a next response.

-Zachy
Hey Zachy,

So sorry that I did not update you with a proper response!
Here is a list of the most common bacteria found in yogurt: http://www.livestrong.com/article/34906 ... in-yogurt/ AND https://microbewiki.kenyon.edu/index.php/Yogurt

For Danone Activia, it's advertised that Bifidobacterium animalis is the main bacteria found. For Yoplait Source, a variety of bacteria have been used in its production: http://yoplaityogurtcoupons.net/does-yo ... robiotics/

Look at all the bacteria specified in these articles, particularly the ones focused on Danone Activia and Yoplait Source, find what their cultures and colonies look like on agar plates and see if those colonies match what you found!

My apologies for replying late,

JSK
~ Call me JSK :D
"Be the person who you wish to see in the world."

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”