Dinoflagellate pause between rounds of exper.?

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Redicans

Dinoflagellate pause between rounds of exper.?

Post by Redicans »

Hello Experts,

My son has a question about your Bioluminescence experiment. He just completed round 1 (5 days of readings) of the experiment. He isn't sure whether to pause, to place all test tubes back into natural light conditions for a few days as if to press a reset button, before continuing to rounds 2 and 3, or to just keep the experiment going non-stop for 15 days. If pausing, should he keep the same test tubes for the same light exposure, or mix them up (dark ones change to light, etc.)?

The company that supplied them instructed him to do this pause after shipping and to only start the experiment when the tubes were adjusted again, and bioluminescing normally. Following this logic, he should do that between rounds of the experiment. Or, are the 3 rounds really one longer 15 day experiment?

Thoughts?
Much appreciated,
"Lit" in NH, The Redicans
MadelineB
Project Question: Interested in volunteering as an expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Dinoflagellate pause between rounds of exper.?

Post by MadelineB »

Hello Redicans,
Thank you and your son for the very thoughtful question! Looking at the procedures for this project, I see the suggestion to do 2 more rounds, but there is no mention of using a "pause."

However it would make sense to use a "pause" to bring all the cultures back to baseline, before each new round.

Let us know how this experiment turns out!

PS: I welcome other opinions from the other experts here at Science Buddies!
Last edited by MadelineB on Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edit my own writing to try to make more sense

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”