Feeding Plants with Different Liquids

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

BlueFlames

Feeding Plants with Different Liquids

Post by BlueFlames »

What would happen if I fed three different plants (which are the same type) with orange juice, milk, and sparkling water? How can I be as accurate as possible?
EAMills
Former Expert

Re: Feeding Plants with Different Liquids

Post by EAMills »

Hello BlueFlames,

You will need to do the experiment to find out what happens :)
There are a few things to consider, do you mean that you will use these liquids instead of normal water for the plants, or as a form of adding nutrients to the plants, as you might do using fertilizer in the soil.
I think the easiest way would be to use these liquids instead of normal water.
You would have at least one plant per condition, but ideally multiple of the same type of plant per condition (2 or 3)
Then you would either add the same amount of (1)water (2) sparkling water (3) orange juice (4) milk to each plant on a regular schedule (however often you would normally water the plants (i.e. every other day, once a week etc.)
Then you might look at metrics such as the growth rate of the plant or health (are the leaves turning brown, is the plant drying out?).
I hope this helps.

Good luck,
Elizabeth
catherineM99
Former Expert

Re: Feeding Plants with Different Liquids

Post by catherineM99 »

Hi,

Just to add onto the other expert's great tips, some ways you can improve experimental accuracy is through the controlling variables and repetition in data collection. This Science Buddies page offers some good general advice on improving experimental accuracy: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... atio.shtml
For example, you would want to use the same species for all three treatments, and you would want them all to initially be in the same condition, i.e. all healthy. Other factors to control are the amount of sunlight, temperature, and soil conditions that each treatment of plants receives. You may also want to repeat the experiment, and like the other expert said, include multiple plants per treatment; from there you can take the averages of your repeated measurements.

Hope this helps!
Catherine

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”