Electrolyte Challenge

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

norman40
Former Expert
Project Question: Volunteer
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Electrolyte Challenge

Post by norman40 »

Hello vikramn,

I’m assuming that you are working on the project described here:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... p053.shtml

The insulated wires with alligator clips make it easy to assemble the circuit shown in the project description. You could build the circuit without using alligator clips if you’d rather do it that way. Just twist wire ends (with insulation stripped away) together where you would have used clips. My suggestion is to use insulated wire everywhere except for the conductance sensor. That way you will avoid a short circuit resulting from wires accidentally touching.

The conductance sensor must have bare wire to work. The 24 gauge wire will be easier to wrap around the drinking straw than thicker 18 gauge wire.

I hope this helps. Please post again if you have more questions.

A. Norman
vikramn

Post by vikramn »

Ok! Thanks!
vikramn

Post by vikramn »

Also...
Can you use the alligator clips to connect the conductance sensor to the battery clip wire?
Can you use 18 gauge copper wire as the wiring to your circuit?
How do you connect alligator clips to 18 gauge copper wire?
norman40
Former Expert
Project Question: Volunteer

Post by norman40 »

Hi vikramn,

Yes, you could use alligator clips to connect the conductance sensor to the wire from the battery. You could twist the two wires together and clamp them with an alligator clip. Or you could attach an alligator clip to the battery wire then clip onto the conductance sesnor wire.

The 18 gauge copper should work fine for your circuit. I think alligator clips can be crimped on to your wire. You might need a crimping tool to do this.

I hope this helps. Please post again if you have more questions.

A. Norman
vikramn

Post by vikramn »

Can you measure the conductance of distilled water using the 200mA setting on the multimeter?
My multimeter doesn't have the 200 microamps setting. Is that ok? Also, can you use 18 gauge wire for both the circuit and the conductance sensor, or will this cause a short circuit?
rmarz
Expert
Project Question: n/a

Post by rmarz »

vikramm - Unfortunately, the conductance of distilled water is so low, that the expected readings you will get will likely be in microamps. A 200 mADC range will not be able to measure current that low. Perhaps you could borrow a suitable meter to finish your experiment.

The use of 18 gauge wire is not a problem. The only concern in this experiment is that the two coils of wire in your sensor not touch each other. You should be fine with 18 gauge.

Rick Marz

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”