Question regarding measuring temperature (Fastest Way to Cool a Soda)

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

cottoncandyrainbow4

Question regarding measuring temperature (Fastest Way to Cool a Soda)

Post by cottoncandyrainbow4 »

Hi. I am a 6th grader and my science project is "What is the Fastest Way to cool a soda?" https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... p057.shtml.

I am doing the project procedure just as listed on the Science Buddies website. I have a couple of questions regarding taking the temperature and number of trials:
1. Should all of my temperature readings be in Fahrenheit or Celsius?
2. How many trials of this entire project should be done?

Should I do the three cans of soda at one time as listed on the procedures, and then average those? Or should I do each can of soda separately, but repeat this three times? I think doing it the last way would take many more bags of ice, but I'm not sure which is the correct way. I plan to go onto our regional fair if I make it past our school fair. The regional fair has some tough judges. They ask a lot of tough questions. So I want to make sure I am doing things right and can explain why I did things a certain way!

Thank you for your help!!!!
norman40
Former Expert
Project Question: Volunteer
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Question regarding measuring temperature (Fastest Way to Cool a Soda)

Post by norman40 »

Hello cottoncandyrainbow4,

You should report all of your readings in Celsius because this is the standard SI (International System) unit for temperature.

The project procedure includes three replicate temperature measurements for each time interval in four cooling devices. The idea here is to average the temperatures for the three cans measured at the same cooling time interval. You can use the replicate data to find out how consistent you measurements are at each of your cooling times. Three replicate measurements should be fine but of you want to add more, that’s even better. If you decide to include more replicates, my suggestion is to follow the project procedure but place additional cans of soda (maybe a total of 5) in each cooling device. Then make measurements for all 5 of the cans at each cooling time interval. You’ll need to make your temperature readings and get the soda cans back into the cooling devices quickly so that the cans don’t warm up while you’re collecting your data.

I hope this helps. Please post again if you have more questions.

A. Norman
cottoncandyrainbow4

Post by cottoncandyrainbow4 »

Thank you for the help on Celsius and Fahrenheit. I like the idea of using 5 cans in each cooling area.

I plan to use press-n-seal plastic wrap over my opened cans. I also hope to keep them right in their cooling area like the coolers, refrigerator, and freezer and take their temperatures without removing them. Thank you again for answering all of my questions!!!
AwesomeSunshine123

Post by AwesomeSunshine123 »

i have a question about my experiment. I checked the initial temp for all cooling methods and soda cans for each. i did not though, check the fridge and freezer temp at the 5 minute mark. I also did not put the fridge cans in the fridge at the 20 min mrk and etthe other cans sit for an additional 5 min in cooling area while i placed fridge cans for about 5 min to catch up.DO i HAVE TO DO THE PROJECT ALL OVER AGAIN!!?? i also do not know what the project meant by stablize. I have stopped at the 30 min maek because 2 out of the 4 cooling methods stabilized but previously they did as well i just decided to keep on going because i thought stabilize menat that the soda cans all had to be the same temp. i need SERIOUS HELP!!!
norman40
Former Expert
Project Question: Volunteer
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by norman40 »

Hello AwesomeSunshine123,

The purpose of checking the temperatures for the cooling methods is to have an indication of the temperature range across the methods. Temperatures checks of the cooling methods at the 5 minute time points could be used to find out how much the temperatures varied during the experiment. As I understand your post, you did check initial temperatures but missed a check for a couple of cooling methods. I think this is OK because you can use the data you have to make a statement about the temperature variation in each of your cooling methods – you’re just missing a couple of data points.

Based on your description I think your fridge data are compromised after the 20 minute mark and I wouldn’t use any fridge data after that time. Your data after the 20 minute mark for the other cooling methods may be OK.

Checking the soda cans at 5 minute intervals enables you to see how the temperatures change with time of storage in the different cooling methods. You need at least three (preferably four or more) data points to reliably spot a trend. My suggestion is to make a chart of the data you have for each of your cooling methods. If you can clearly see trends in the temperature data then your results are probably OK.

In the project procedure “stabilize” means “no longer varying”. When you put a can of room temperature soda into the fridge, the temperature of the soda will start falling. Eventually the temperature of the soda will be the same as that of the fridge. At that point the soda temperature has stabilized.

I hope this helps. Please post again if you have more questions.

A. Norman

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”