Finding The Center Of The Milky Way Galaxy Using Globular Star Clusters

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

soccernessa04

Finding The Center Of The Milky Way Galaxy Using Globular Star Clusters

Post by soccernessa04 »

I am doing a science fair project that I found on the Science Buddies website called " Finding The Center Of The Milky Way Galaxy Using Globular Star Cluster" I don't know if you can help me but I am confused about steps 9, 10 and 11. My google earth may just be acting up but it does not give a location for the constellations in order for me to guess were the center of the milky way is. And when I did step 11 it showed me were it is in the space but has no location for me to identify the what the center is. If you have time, can you check this experiment and see if I am missing something? If you can that would be great!

Sincerely,

soccernessa04
norman40
Former Expert
Project Question: Volunteer
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Finding The Center Of The Milky Way Galaxy Using Globular Star Clusters

Post by norman40 »

Hi soccernessa04,

I’m not familiar with this project but I did try setting up Google Earth as described in the project procedure. After the set up I was able to enter several constellations in the search field and Google Earth displayed the constellation. But the constellation name didn’t appear for some entries (for example, the names for Cetus and Sculptor were not displayed). Be sure to check “constellations” in the list under “backyard astronomy” (step 6 in the project procedure). Otherwise none of the constellation names appear. When I tried searching for the galactic center, it was displayed and remained on screen unless I zoomed in too far. From your description I think my version of Google Earth is working like yours.

I think the idea here is to get the names of the three constellations you identified (steps 1-4) and the galactic center on the Google Earth display all at once. This may take quite a bit of zooming an panning to see everything. I don’t think there is any indication of location other than visual – what you see on the display. Perhaps another forum contributor with expertise on this topic will add some comments that are more helpful.

I hope this helps. Please ask again if you have more questions.

A. Norman

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”