Terra forming mars

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

AGent

Terra forming mars

Post by AGent »

Hi,
I am doing a project to terraform Mars. I'm trying to find out how to put oxygen on the planet, but my problem is the atmosphere is to thin so the oxygen would just float off in to space. Any advice? Thanks! Aloka
ScienceBuff101

Re: Terra forming mars

Post by ScienceBuff101 »

I hope it isn't to late to answer your question, but I'd like to give you an answer anyway.

To start of, oxygen wouldn't really float away. But really would get obliterate by cosmic radiation instantaneously.
Since [as you said] mars's atmosphere is thin, and has no ozone, which is integral in forming the ozone layer.

So take care of the ozone deficiency and maybe deflect some radiation, your ready to go.

Secondly, you'd want to remove the carbon dioxide, increase the nitrogen and oxygen (biological integral), and deplete/increase other amounts of gasses. After completing that you'd want to begin little botanic operations to make Mars sustain water and vegetation.

Those are the basic actions needed: Ozone layer, O and N and some vegetation. Obviously it'd be near improbable to do that in reality [as of now], but thats what the answer to your question would be.
willrosenthal
Former Expert

Re: Terra forming mars

Post by willrosenthal »

Hey Agent,

ScienceBuff101 had a great answer. Just adding on, I read that (although, like ScienceBuff101 stated, it wouldn't be possible to perform this as of now, but in the future it would be possible) but we could try to create an atmosphere on Mars by releasing greenhouse gases such as ammonia, or hydrocarbons (such as methane) although both of these methods would require constant monotoring. Fun Fact: As of now, NASA is working on developing sealed biodomes that would house oxygen producing bacteria/algae!

Thanks.

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”