BlueBot Project #3

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Sadia22551

BlueBot Project #3

Post by Sadia22551 »

Hello! I wanted to know if the following MOSFETS would work for this project. (For the MOSFETS, go on to adafruit.com and search MOSFETS. The first two that appear are the ones that I am talking about). If yes, then which one? If no, then what would work? Could you also help me with which wheels and D.C. Motors would be best for this project? Also, would an 1N4001 diode work instead of an 1N34a diode work? Would a geranium 1N34a diode work? Should I use a 150 ohm 1/4 watt resistor or 150ohm 1/2 watt resistor? Thank you!
LeungWilley
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: BlueBot Project #3

Post by LeungWilley »

Hi Sadia,
Yes, the model that you found will work, I would suggest going with the N channel MOSFET (Product ID #355) based on the higher amperage rating at 60A and matching more closely in the part as pictured.

I am a little confused about the questions about the wheels and the DC motor, those would have been part of the kit? I am afraid of recommending something and then it won't fit on the chasis. Can you help us understand what you are trying to accomplish please?

In regards to the diodes, I don't think that would be a good match with the 1N4001. You are good with the Geranium 1N34A. Finally, I would suggest the higher power rating, 1/2 Watts for the 150ohm resistor. (or 1 W if you can find them)

Hope I didn't miss anything. Please let us know if there's anything else that we can help with.
Good Luck and Have Fun with your experiment!
Willey
Sadia22551

Post by Sadia22551 »

Thank you for your help! Also, I'm making my own chassis and did not purchase the kit. One question is will a 100RPM motor work for this? Or does it have to be higher or lower? Thanks again! P.S. This is the link to the website I found the wheel and motor on. http://robokits.co.in/motors/dc-geared- ... t-bo-motor
LeungWilley
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by LeungWilley »

Hi Sadia,
Thank you for the clarification. I would say that the 100RPM motor should work pretty well. (When evaluating a part, you will want to look at the voltage level and power consumption (for DC circuit, it's volts x amps and you will want to evaluate the power path (i.e. how power gets to the motor from the battery) and make sure that all the components can handle the power required for this motor. Using your resistor as an example, you will want to make sure that the power level is less 1W. If you have the diameter of the wheel, you can calculate and see far the wheel would travel in 100 revolution. That's how fast your bot will be moving at full power per minute.

Hope this helps.
Good Luck and Have fun!
Willey
Sadia22551

Post by Sadia22551 »

Thank you so so much!!!! This really helps!
lolitamia

Post by lolitamia »

Sadia22551 wrote:Thank you for your help! Also, I'm making my own chassis and did not purchase the kit. One question is will a 100RPM motor work for this? Or does it have to be higher or lower? Thanks again! P.S. This is the link to the website I found the wheel and motor on. http://robokits.co.in/motors/dc-geared- ... t-bo-motor
Hi Sadia,

Thank you for sharing a the link! Its was very helpful to me

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”