Estimating the upper and lower bounds of error: "How to measure speed of light using microwave oven"

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

res4015

Estimating the upper and lower bounds of error: "How to measure speed of light using microwave oven"

Post by res4015 »

I'm trying to understand the correct measurements to take and then what to do with them so that we may estimate the upper and lower bounds of error, as we conduct the measurements of center to center of egg white hot spots.

I understand about estimating the center of the hot spots and we have had no problem measuring center to center.

I'm not clear on measuring the edges of the hot spots per the description in the experiment sheets.

How do we do that? and what do we do with the measurements after we record them?

Robert
Moderator: In keeping with Science Buddies policy, I've deleted your personal information.
Last edited by MadelineB on Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
res4015

Re: Estimating the upper and lower bounds of error: "How to measure speed of light using microwave oven"

Post by res4015 »

Thank you for editing my personal information, Madeline.

How will I know if/when I receive a response from an expert?

thanks,

res4015
LeungWilley
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Estimating the upper and lower bounds of error: "How to measure speed of light using microwave oven"

Post by LeungWilley »

Hi Robert,
My interpretation of the experiment instruction is that you will take the hot spot measurements between the closest hotspots across the two portions and the furthest hotspots across the two portions. With these measurements, you will then compare it with step 10. (The spacing of the hot spots will be equal to one-half of the wavelength of the microwaves.) and use that as your upper and lower error limit.

Hope that make sense. Please let us know if there's anything we can to do to help.
Willey

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”