Bridge design project

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

AngekNoakPardk

Bridge design project

Post by AngekNoakPardk »

So i am doing this popsicle design bridges topic for a science fair, and i didnt want the topic too open. I need some controlled variables here, i already have a lot, but i need more for my bridge designs. I need a length number so theyre all the same, and maybe the same amount of popsicle sticks, but i am not sure how much. I was thinking about a 30 cm length span for the bridges, but does anyone know some variables i could keep the same and the amount of sticks? Thanks.
AngekNoakPardk

Re: Bridge design project

Post by AngekNoakPardk »

tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Bridge design project

Post by tdaly »

Hi AngekNoakPardk,

The bridge builder project looks like fun! You mentioned that you already identified a lot of controlled variables. You mentioned bridge length and number of popsicle sticks as controlled variables. Those are reasonable things to control for. Are there any others that you have already identified?

I suspect the most important controlled variables will be related to how you test your bridges. You will want to make sure that you test all of your bridges in the exact same way, using the exact same materials. For instance, the location of the loading block on top of the bridge should be the same in all of your tests. So, loading block location would be a controlled variable. The types of weights that you use and the order you add them should also be the same. So, those would also be controlled variables.

Post back if you have other questions!
All the best,
Terik

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”