Hypothesis

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

3monkies

Hypothesis

Post by 3monkies »

My son project - how many balloons will take to lift him ?

We are trying to figure out by first weighting paper clip and attaching it one balloon
Then a pencil , teddy bear to the number of balloons it ll lift

we will record all of the data from the experiment. We record how much each object weighed, and how many balloons it took lift the object.
We ll also calculate how many balloons it might take to lift the objects in the experiment. After we find out how much weight one balloon could lift we used that data to calculate how many balloons it would take to lift Teddy bear , pencil , clips then calculate lift HIM

Now problem is what should I write in hypothesis ? Guess a number or number range ?
Pls help
norman40
Former Expert
Project Question: Volunteer
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Hypothesis

Post by norman40 »

Hello 3monkies,

It seems to me that your experiment is about the amount of weight a balloon will support. Your independent variable appears to be the weight of the different objects. And your dependent variable is the number of balloons needed for lifting. My suggestion is to write a hypothesis that links the independent and dependent variables. One example might be “When I increase the weight of an object the number of balloons needed for lifting the object will increase”.

More details about constructing a hypothesis can be found here:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... esis.shtml

I hope this helps. Please post again if you have more questions.

A. Norman

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”