Maglev Hockey Table

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

flyingdophins101

Maglev Hockey Table

Post by flyingdophins101 »

Hi, my school has this project where everyone makes their own DIY arcade game (mainly out of cardboard). If you know about Caine's arcade, you will know what I am talking about. I need to make a hockey table (approx. 30" by 18") that uses magnets to levitate the putt. Since I will not be using electricity, temporary magnets are out of the question. Also, the maglev parts needs to be as cheap as possible (under $30). I only need help on the maglev part, I will handle the other parts on my own. If anyone has any ideas, even ones that probably won't work, please somehow contact me. A visual will also be nice. Thank You!
kaylimasuda
Former Expert

Re: Maglev Hockey Table

Post by kaylimasuda »

Hello there,
Though this reply is probably far too late, "Earnshaw's theorem proved conclusively that it is not possible to levitate stably using only static, macroscopic, paramagnetic fields." Therefore, you would require an electric force to stabilize levitation. However, diamagnetic materials would be a viable option. By diamagnetic, I'm referring to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamagnetism.

Sincerely,
Kayli Masuda :D

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”