Need assistance debugging Dealing with Diabetes: The Road to Developing an Artificial Pancreas

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

pankajkbehl

Need assistance debugging Dealing with Diabetes: The Road to Developing an Artificial Pancreas

Post by pankajkbehl »

My daughter and her friend are working on the "Dealing with Diabetes: The Road to Developing an Artificial Pancreas". After numerous attempts she is unable to get the circuit to work. We even got a replacement breadboard in the hopes of fixing the issue. She has followed all the step by step instructions. Is there someone who can help guide her through this.

Time is of the essence.

Please respond to us at [personal email deleted by moderator per Science Buddies policy]. Please respond here on the Ask the Expert forum.

Regards,

Pankaj Behl
kaylimasuda
Former Expert

Re: Need assistance debugging Dealing with Diabetes: The Road to Developing an Artificial Pancreas

Post by kaylimasuda »

Hello there,
I apologize for there being no response to this question. Though I doubt it, if you would still like to clarify aspects of this project, please ask again.

Sincerely,
Kayli Masuda
ssailaja

Re: Need assistance debugging Dealing with Diabetes: The Road to Developing an Artificial Pancreas

Post by ssailaja »

My daughter is working on Artificial Pancreas and is having trouble to get the pump work. She followed the same steps in the instruction and tried it several time..but still not successful.
I would like to know the fix for similar issue. I would also like to know, what could be an "INDEPENDENT VARIABLE" for this experiment?
Please respond at the earliest as the experiment submission date is fast approaching.

Highly appreciate any help on this.

Thanks
S
norman40
Former Expert
Project Question: Volunteer
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by norman40 »

Hi ssailaja,

I'm assuming that you are working on the project described here:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... as#summary

Have you tried the pump troubleshooting steps at the following link?

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... creas#help

Although the circuit is not terribly complex it is very easy to make incorrect connections on the breadboard. Carefully check that all connections are secure.

This is an engineering project and as such it does not have independent and dependent variables. Rather, the goal of the project is to build and troubleshoot an artificial pancreas model. Once built and operational you could use the model as an experimental apparatus. One experiment that comes to mind is an acid/base titration like the one used for demonstrating the model.

I hope this helps. Please ask again if you have more questions.

A. Norman
ssailaja

Post by ssailaja »

Thanks for your reply. We got the pump running now. We placed the potentiometers in a wrong place on breadboard.
Appreciate your assistance.

Regards
S
ssailaja

Need help ASAP in relating the Artifical Pancreas modle to the real life useage

Post by ssailaja »

Hi,
I have done Road Map to Artificial Pancreas for my science fair and the competition date is in 2 days. I want to know how to relate the Acid/Base and Neutralize solution to a patient that is using this closed loop system in real life.
And what kind of Engineering questions can i expect from the judges on Artificial Pancreas? Please help.

Thanks for taking time on reading this post.

Regards
S
norman40
Former Expert
Project Question: Volunteer
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by norman40 »

Hi ssailaja,

The acid/base neutralization demonstrated with the model system is designed to mimic actions of an artificial pancreas that senses high blood glucose levels and pumps insulin into the bloodstream until glucose levels become normal. The project background section has a much more detailed explanation of how the model system would relate to a real artificial pancreas.

Some questions from judges might include:

How does the system work?
What's the operating principle for the sensor?
How do you adjust (or calibrate) the system to make the pump stop?
Will the system work with solutions other than acids/bases?

I hope this helps. Please ask again if you have more questions.

A. Norman

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”