cheesecake

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

bellagranetzke

cheesecake

Post by bellagranetzke »

I'm working on the cheesecake experiment. I have been able to get the correct results, but im trying to write conclusions and I want to know WHY somethings happen

Why does my NY cheesecake look like a giant pizza? Did the sugar rise during baking and then crack on the top? If this is what happened, why did the sugar rise?

Why does my cheesecake sink in the middle when it is cooled?

What did the traditional cheesecake rise so high in the oven and then sink in the fridge.

Thank you,
Bella
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: cheesecake

Post by tdaly »

Hi Bella,

You did this experiment, correct?
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... p068.shtml

Good for you for wanting to know the "why" behind your results.

I'm not sure what you mean why you say that your NY cheesecake looked like a giant pizza. However, my understanding is that cheesecakes get most of their rise from the air bubbles incorporated into the batter. As the cake bakes, the air gets hot. The air expands as it gets hot, which makes the cheesecake rise.

The most likely causes for a cheesecake rising high in the oven and then sinking later are (1) the cheesecake didn't develop enough structure to support its weight and (2) contraction during cooling.
All the best,
Terik

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”