BPA (bisphenol A)

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

banyen
Project Question: Environmental Sciences
Project Due Date: April 5
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Re: BPA (bisphenol A)

Post by banyen »

Thank you!

I have already checked at many of the colleges around and they don't want me to use their machine because they are afraid that their machine might "jam up". Can you tell me how I could do a thin layer chromatography at home to detect BPA. Someone had said that it would work, but I don't know how. :oops:
Last edited by banyen on Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Craig_Bridge
Former Expert

Post by Craig_Bridge »

Thin layer chromatography http://orgchem.colorado.edu/hndbksupport/TLC/TLC.htmlis primarily a way to get a clue as to how many components are in a mixture. By calculating the Rf of an unknown and comparing it to the Rf's of known compounds, you can get a guess at what it might be, but more specifically, you can rule out what it isn't. If a known has a relative Rf value that is nowhere near any of the constituents, then that known is NOT present in the mixture. The converse is NOT true. Unfortunately, this method doesn't work for constituents in the less than 5,000 PPM range which is what I think you are trying to look for. Simply stated, there won't be enough BPA around to show up via TLC.

I realize that you really want to do a project that tests for BPA, but I don't think you have the means of doing so. Maybe it is time to look for a project that you have the resources to do. If you are interested in TLC or paper chromatography, they can be used to do a lot of neat things as long as you pick something that has high enough concentrations to be seen.
-Craig
banyen
Project Question: Environmental Sciences
Project Due Date: April 5
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Post by banyen »

HEY!!

I am finally able to use a HPLC!!! :D However, I need to know the concentrations of BPA. I looked this up, and on the Bisphenol A website, it says that it is generally less than 5 parts per billion. You had said that it is less than 5000 ppm. Which is more accurate? Thanks!
Craig_Bridge
Former Expert

Post by Craig_Bridge »

What I said was
Unfortunately, this method [TLC] doesn't work for constituents in the less than 5,000 PPM range which is what I think you are trying to look for.
I looked this up, and on the Bisphenol A website, it says that it is generally less than 5 parts per billion. ... Which is more accurate?
They are both "accurate". My statement that the expected concentration of Bisphenol A is less than 5,000 PPM is accurate per your website which indicates it is generally less than 5 PPB. 5 PPB is less than 5,000 PPM. The more "precise" statement is less than 5 PPB because it narrows the range significantly.

If somebody guessed you weighed less than 500,000 pounds on earth, they would be "accurate" (correct). If somebody else guessed that you weighed less than 500 pounds on earth, I suspect they would also be "accurate" (correct). Whose guess was more "precise", the one that guessed "less than 500 pounds".

My use of 5,000 PPM was directed at telling you more about the boundaries of what TLC methods might be capable if pushed to extreme limits and said very little about Bisphenol A concentrations. In other words, TLC method limitations and expected Bisphenol A concentrations weren't even in the same ball park.
-Craig
Ochopeces

Post by Ochopeces »

Hello,
I just made a huge mistake!! I had our granite countertops removed and there was an epoxy strip joining two pieces which the person who removed it heated for about 30 minutes (my kids were in the basement the whole time) and even scraped away which did create dust (why did I do that!!!). I am 99% sure it had bpa. I cleaned my cabinets with vinager and tried to forget about it. Then I realized that my glass cooktop was getting a film! I just cleaned it yesterday and it was the same color as the epoxy !!!! I imagine, in my super safety concerned mind, that I have been exposing my kids to these fumes for two weeks, cooking on the stovetop. I imagine it is on everything from being in the dishwasher with my pots and pans that were on the cooktop: from my glasses to plates and silverware from the inside of my dishwasher.

Is there any way to clean bpa or do I now need a new cooktop and cookware and plates. I will buy new things if there is no way to remove it. Have I done irrepriable damage to my kids :-( can this stuff be flushed out? Can I have their urine tested, I have read that blood, yeast tests are being developed. I have no idea how to turn this mistake around!

If you can help or know someone who can, I would greatly appreciate any help.
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by tdaly »

Hi Ochopeces,

These forums are for K-12 students, parents, and teachers working on school science projects. Although I can tell that you have genuine concerns and want expert advice, your questions don't fall within the scope of these forums. However, you may find assistance on a different set of online forums.
All the best,
Terik

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”