Variables and hypothesis

Ask questions about projects relating to: computer science or pure mathematics (such as probability, statistics, geometry, etc...).

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

ncoverstreet

Variables and hypothesis

Post by ncoverstreet »

I would like to do the "want to make a video game? Here's how!" project using scratch, but I'm having trouble figuring out what the Variables and hypothesis would be for the project. Can you help?

Thansk,
Nick
324B21
Former Expert
Project Question: Setting up an account to hopefully volunteer and help others learn and enjoy science!
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Variables and hypothesis

Post by 324B21 »

Hey there Nick!

What a great project to pick. Your variable in this project would be Time. In this project the thing you are trying to do is avoid the dog for as long as possible. Each time you run this game you can't really control how long this will take, right? Sometimes this might take a few seconds, sometimes a lot longer. Your other variables would be the speed of the dog, and the speed of the cat. Once you have your game programmed, you can adjust these to make them move faster/slower. Naturally, this could make the game a lot harder or easier depending on how you calibrate things.

Your hypothesis will be a bit harder for me to answer. What are you trying to prove here? It could be something as simple as:

If I increase the speed of the cat, then the dog won't be caught for much longer.

Or something like: If I blindfold the people playing, then they will be caught faster.

The If/Then is the most important part of this hypothesis stage. This is all up to you! Let your mind go wild.

If I give my subjects a non-diet cola an hour before playing, then they will play worse due to the sugar rush.

Good luck! Please post again if other questions arise.

Elizabeth

Return to “Grades 6-8: Math and Computer Science”