Formulas for data on plants grown with medically polluted water

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

francesfrene

Formulas for data on plants grown with medically polluted water

Post by francesfrene »

My project is about the effect that medically polluted water has on plants. I want to know which statistical formulas would be good to use. My mom says that an easy one that shows cause or accidental is the correlation coefficient. I am growing 4 types of seeds with medically polluted water and 4 types ( the same types same soil, etc) with tap water. I am measuring the length of time it takes for each type of seed to sprout, and then measuring the growth. Also the growth of the roots.
Are there other formulas that would be useful for this project?

Thanks so much!
SciB
Expert
Occupation: Retired molecular biologist, university researcher and teacher
Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to be able to help students achieve the best science project possible and to understand the science behind it.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Formulas for data on plants grown with medically polluted water

Post by SciB »

Hi,

Your project sounds unusual and intriguing. What kind of medical pollution did you use and how did you treat the seeds?

Statistical analysis of your data is a great idea if you want people to believe your conclusions. The most important parts of an experiment are the controls and multiple samples. In your case the control is 'no treatment' and you did that, but the big question is how many of each type of seed did you test? In order to do statistical tests you need a minimum of three identical samples and usually more.

Here is a good description of statistics as it applies to school science projects:
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ysis.shtml

Let us know if you have more questions.

Sybee

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”