Password Security Science Fair Project: Please Reply ASAP

Ask questions about projects relating to: computer science or pure mathematics (such as probability, statistics, geometry, etc...).

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

GB21

Password Security Science Fair Project: Please Reply ASAP

Post by GB21 »

Dear Science Buddies Expert Team,
I have read over the Introduction, Background, and Procedure multiple times, but I can't seem to put the project itself together. I have downloaded crack2.py, Python, and the file titled password. I am doing Method 3, but I just can't seem to understand what to do. I have done programming in the past, but this is a lot different from what I'm used to. Could someone please reply with more simplified instructions on what to do for the procedure? :o
Thank You in Advanced,
A Befuddled Eighth Grader
Ultra
Former Student Expert
Project Question: Student volunteer for Ask an Expert
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Password Security Science Fair Project: Please Reply ASAP

Post by Ultra »

GB21,

Thank you for using the Science Buddies fora.

I will do my best to explain using pseudo-code.

define procedure
variable number_of_words = how many words there are
for(number_of_words) { //you want to run the commands in this loop on each password in the list, so we make a for loop that runs as many times as there are passwords in the list
try password //figure out some way to check if this is the right password
if (password is right) {
display the password
stop program } else {
try capitalizing the first letter }
advance word index //you want a variable that holds your spot in line, so to speak; you need to be able to load the word at that location in memory only once, then move on to the next one
}
display failed message //if program execution reached this statement, it has finished trying all of the passwords in the list, both lowercase and capitalized, and none of them worked (otherwise, the program would have stopped); since nothing matched, you should display a message that your attempt to find the password in this method failed

This is essentially what you are trying to do with your code. It is up to you, as the programmer, to turn this pseudo-code into executable Python. :)

Hopefully, I have answered your question. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask as a reply on this thread.

Good luck,
- Ultra
For science!
- Ultra

Return to “Grades 6-8: Math and Computer Science”