Predicted results on The Tree of Life (advanced)

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

Azeleastar

Predicted results on The Tree of Life (advanced)

Post by Azeleastar »

I'm doing my science fair project on The Tree of Life (advanced) and my teacher asks that I write a predicted results paper for her but considering this project has different codes as results I don't know how I should write It out, if anyone has any suggestions or an answer to my question please let me know I need this turned In immediately.
SciB
Expert
Occupation: Retired molecular biologist, university researcher and teacher
Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to be able to help students achieve the best science project possible and to understand the science behind it.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Predicted results on The Tree of Life (advanced)

Post by SciB »

Hi,

I'm assuming that you are doing the Scibuddies Tree of Life-II (advanced) project, correct?

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... background

Your project does not involve actual experiments, but you are still expected to come up with a hypothesis which is the same as the predicted results. In this case you had to choose one or preferably more proteins to compare among a range of species that was shown in an old-style family tree. The family trees that were constructed before DNA and extensive protein data were available were based on careful observation of a number of features. They were pretty accurate for their time, but now we have much more quantitative ways to determine the relationships among species.

What animals were on the family tree that you found? What proteins did you choose? Your predictions about how well the amino acid sequences of the proteins of different species will agree are based on what you know or can find out about the proteins. A protein like hemoglobin, for example, which carries oxygen in human blood is found in almost all vertebrate animals and probably is quite similar in humans, apes, elephants, lions, etc. Birds have hemoglobin but the protein structure is different from that of humans so it can carry more oxygen per molecule of hemoglobin:
http://www.thewildclassroom.com/biodive ... ology.html
Fish can have several different hemoglobins and the Antarctic ice-fish has no hemoglobin at all!

If your family tree includes insects then you could predict a big difference between them and humans because their blood, which is called hemolymph, contains no hemoglobin at all.

I used hemoglobin as an example of how you would go about making a prediction. Try to select proteins that are common and extensively studied but likely to vary from species to species like digestive enzymes.

Does this help with your writing? Let us know if you need more help.

Sybee
Azeleastar

Post by Azeleastar »

Is there a measurable predicted results in this project? Specifically thats what my teacher asked for, like predicted numbers
SciB
Expert
Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to be able to help students achieve the best science project possible and to understand the science behind it.

Post by SciB »

The prediction you would be making is how similar a particular protein's sequence is from one organism to another. Is your teacher asking you to come up with a numerical prediction? This would be pointless because there would be no way for you to say ahead of time what the percent identity is. That's why you do the online comparison of two sequences.

Am i misunderstanding your question? I thought I gave you enough information before to write an answer to what your teacher is asking. If you can tell me exactly what you are expected to write, maybe I can help you.

Sybee
Azeleastar

Post by Azeleastar »

Yes a numerical prediction
SciB
Expert

Post by SciB »

As I said, there is no way for you to give a percent identity without doing a direct comparison of two DNA sequences. Explain to your teacher that the purpose of the experiment IS to determine the degree of identity.

The only prediction you could make is that a particular protein sequence should be similar, somewhat similar or not similar based on the animal's position in the family tree.

Am I still misunderstanding what you are asking?

Other experts--PLEASE help out here!!

Sybee

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”