Using Spectrophotometery to measure Glycation in Poultry

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

mtaylor30

Using Spectrophotometery to measure Glycation in Poultry

Post by mtaylor30 »

Hello!
I am a junior in high school researching how shelf life of supermarket chicken effects the formation of advanced glycation end products. I was wondering if anybody had a protocol on how to break down the meat into a solution in which I could perform an ELISA test on. Would I need some kind of buffer solution? I have read articles about using saline solution but have been unable to find a specific protocol. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank You,
Maya
SUS
Former Expert
Project Question: ASK AN EXPERT volunteer
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Using Spectrophotometery to measure Glycation in Poultry

Post by SUS »

Hello!

I am unfamiliar with this process unfortunately. However, there is a website that details how to prepare certain samples for an ELISA. http://www.abcam.com/protocols/elisa-sa ... on-guide-1.

If you already have an ELISA kit, you can actually call a representative from the company that you got the kit from, and ask them how to prepare samples as well. Sometimes different kits have different buffers they want you to use. This might be the best place to start. Hope this helps!

-Surya

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”