West Open Houses

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

xeshan

West Open Houses

Post by xeshan »

I live in Asian Country where people believe to live in west open houses. Is that the rule same for entire world? What I guess that it depends on wind flow direction i.e. easterly or westerly winds which differ from country to country (i.e. in term of latitude). May I get information country wise to know preference of house choice i.e. east open or west open etc ?
SciB
Expert
Occupation: Retired molecular biologist, university researcher and teacher
Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to be able to help students achieve the best science project possible and to understand the science behind it.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: West Open Houses

Post by SciB »

That's an interesting question you are asking. My house in the USA faces west but it is because that is where the road is, not because of the prevailing winds.

There are many factors that could affect a person's choice of home orientation. Bedrooms are often at the back of a house and they may open towards the east to get morning sun. In housing developments, the front of the house faces the road to allow the owner to park their vehicle in the garage. People living in rural areas often plan their house site so that they can enjoy a beautiful view of mountains or the ocean.

Most people live in cities and there your choice of home site is usually quite limited and governed more by the way the city is laid out than by natural features.

I think many of the traditional ideas about which way to face your house are different in different countries and it would make an interesting project to try and correlate these beliefs with the history of the society in that part of the country. Some cultures may have much clearer and well-defined 'rules' about home siting than others and these could relate to religious or historical values and not just natural features like prevailing winds or the direction of the sun.

You could make a questionnaire to send to people around the world and ask them what their preferences are for a home site, and whether the direction their home faces even matters to them.

Post again if you have project questions.

Sybee

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”