Forensic Science

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

sciencefreak2001

Forensic Science

Post by sciencefreak2001 »

Hi really want to do this experiment for my science project. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWkfXjGohVk Could you please watch and let me know if this would work with paints instead of food colouring
ncarter79
Former Expert
Project Question: Expert team
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Forensic Science

Post by ncarter79 »

Hi there!

This looks like a cool project! I'm assuming that since you found the video on youtube, you have also checked out the full written link on the science buddies page. But in case you haven't here it is https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ml#summary.

I'm not sure how this would work with paints as opposed to food coloring, but because this is a great question, it's one you could certainly ask and try out yourself! What kind of paint were you thinking about using? If you click on the link and then on the 'make it your own tab', there are some additional ideas of things you can try. The cool thing about this project is that it is your own and you can ask different questions!

So I would suggest trying the paint and see how it works compared to the food coloring. Make note of what kind of paint you use. Keep in mind different kinds of paints have different consistencies, for example paint used to paint a room is thicker than watercolors. Also think about whether you need to make changes to the electrode, will you need more or less power? Do you need to change the percentage of agarose in your gel?

Good luck with your project! Let us know if you have more questions.

Nikki

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”