Making your own markers

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

mariana200124

Making your own markers

Post by mariana200124 »

Regarding this topic, that I took from this science website, I have been having trouble figuring out the variables (independent, dependent, controlled, and uncontrolled)
The problem statement that I am using for tis experiment is "Which natural resources makes the best color?"
Please help me figure out the variables!!! :? :? :? :?
SciB
Expert
Occupation: Retired molecular biologist, university researcher and teacher
Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to be able to help students achieve the best science project possible and to understand the science behind it.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Making your own markers

Post by SciB »

I'm assuming you are referring to the Scibuddies project Make Your Own Markers: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... #procedure

What exactly did you do? I am guessing from your statement that you used several different colored plant dyes, but what did you do with them--make markers? What do you mean by 'best' color?

When you do an experimental science project you would decide on a hypothesis, a statement of what you predict is going to happen. For example, you might say "Blueberries make a more permanent dye than purple cabbage." Then you would test this hypothesis by doing an experiment. You might make dyes from blueberries and purple cabbage and dye some cloth with each one and let it dry. Then you would run them both through the clothes washer and see which one stood up to washing best. Or you could hang the cloths outside in the sun and see which one was more resistant to fading.

If you are just making plant dyes that is a demonstration of dye making. In a hypothesis-driven project, the independent variables are what you do and the dependent variable is what you measure. What did you measure in your project? There are ways to use a smart phone to quantitate the intensity of a color and that could be something you measure.

Let us know a little more about what dyes you made and what you did with them and we will try to help you with your questions.

Sybee

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”