hypothesis

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

tbreadner

hypothesis

Post by tbreadner »

Im looking for some guidelines on how to build a hypothesis when the questions are provided for you such as are women better drivers then men? or Will students work harder for marks or free time? I have no idea where to start or to support this type of questions. someone please help me. does a hypothesis have to be long short? what needs to be incuded? so confused
SciB
Expert
Occupation: Retired molecular biologist, university researcher and teacher
Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to be able to help students achieve the best science project possible and to understand the science behind it.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: hypothesis

Post by SciB »

A hypothesis is simply a statement of what you think will happen in a particular situation. It is a single sentence. For example, you could say "Women are better drivers than men." That's your hypothesis. Now the problem is how do you test it to prove or disprove it? MythBusters, the TV show, already did this, but they had a big test track with cameras, timers and speed guns--a little beyond your capability probably.

Do you see now what a hypothesis is? It is based on a question usually, but it has to be in the form of a positive statement--this is so--and I plan to test it by--etc., etc

If you haven't done so, read this explanation of what a hypothesis is and how to write one:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... esis.shtml

Let us know when you have more questions.

Sybee

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”