Microbial Fuel Cell

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

adrianaaliz

Microbial Fuel Cell

Post by adrianaaliz »

Hello! I want to build a microbial fuel cell. The things is, even though I know English, there are still a few things I don't understand about the procedure. I was wondering if anyone had the project in Spanish. Not necessarily all of it, just the procedure. Thanks!

This is the link to the procedure:
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... #procedure

-Adriana
SciB
Expert
Occupation: Retired molecular biologist, university researcher and teacher
Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to be able to help students achieve the best science project possible and to understand the science behind it.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Microbial Fuel Cell

Post by SciB »

Hi Adriana,

I am sorry that no one has replied to your question. Do you have friends who are fluent in both Spanish and English? Perhaps you could get one of them to translate the procedure into Spanish. There are also online translators that you could try but they are not very good.

I would suggest that you make a list of questions in English about the parts of the project that you don't understand. We will be happy to explain in enough detail to make it clear to you.

Sybee
adrianaaliz

Post by adrianaaliz »

Thanks so much for your help. Is there something that can be used instead of carbon cloth and nickel epoxy? I have very little time to order the carbon cloth and I don't know where to find the nickel epoxy...
SciB
Expert
Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to be able to help students achieve the best science project possible and to understand the science behind it.

Post by SciB »

Hi Adriana,

I'm afraid if you want the fuel cell to work as described, you have to use the recommended parts.

I did a search for nickel epoxy adhesive and you can buy it from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Nickel-Electrical ... B00EPYCRMG

If you have Amazon-Prime you won't have to pay for shipping and the order should arrive in a couple of days.

If you are really short on time, you could buy the kit to make a microbial fuel cell:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... #materials

Good luck!

Sybee
adrianaaliz

Post by adrianaaliz »

Again, Thank You! I have another question. I hope that it's the last one... What is the purpose of the resistors? I don't know what they are suppose to do. I have seen other projects where they don't use them. Are they necessary?
SciB
Expert

Post by SciB »

Please ask as many questions as you want. We want you to understand the science behind the project.

You can build the fuel cell without using the resistors and the current produced will light the LED, but you won't be able to measure the power output. Power in watts, W, is equal to the voltage, V, squared, divided by the resistance, R.

You use the multimeter to measure V and you know the R value because each resistor has a known resistance, so you can calculate the power in watts. The actual power is in the microwatt [millionths of a watt] range, but the formula is for watts, W.

I hope this answers your question ok. Post again if you need more help.

Good luck!

Sybee

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”