Testing for Cancer

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

ritztej

Testing for Cancer

Post by ritztej »

Hi,
I am doing a project on how cell phone radiation can affect human cells, and if it can cause genetic mutations leading to the development of cancer. I was wondering how I could test cells for cancer. If anybody has any ideas, please let me know.
Thanks.
PharmaMan
Expert
Project Question: Registration as an Expert
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Testing for Cancer

Post by PharmaMan »

Hello,

Depending on what type of laboratory equipment you have, there would be different experiments you can do to test for specific genetic mutations or the presence of cancer cells. However, in medicine, a biopsy of suspected tumor cells is taken and observed underneath a microscope for very specific changes in morphology. To test for suspected mutations, gene sequencing would need to be carried out with isolated DNA from a cell population. What kinds of laboratory equipment do you have access to? What is your hypothesis?

Let us know and we can help you further.

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”