Who sees better in the dark? Humans or Dogs?

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

Pabloo2

Who sees better in the dark? Humans or Dogs?

Post by Pabloo2 »

I am a 9th grade student doing a project for my biology class. Im trying to find out whether dogs or humans see better in the darkness. I havent yet found a way to do the procedure , test this, i am having trouble with it. And i would really appreciate if someone could help me find a way to do the procedure, also i really want to impress my teacher with my work so any suggestions will be appreciated. :)
ldrinatrishaaldnza123
Project Question: Can you understand which notes can induce sympathetic vibrations on an open string on the piano?
Project Due Date: 1/11/16
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: Who sees better in the dark? Humans or Dogs?

Post by ldrinatrishaaldnza123 »

my answer is dogs . they can see better in the dark for some reason. i is like they have night vision.
trisha
Pabloo2

Post by Pabloo2 »

Thank you both very much. This information would have been of great help . but sadly i had to change the whole project because i didnt have a way of testing my hypothesis. But thanks
prbeck
Former Expert

Post by prbeck »

That is an interesting and difficult experiment . If you decide that you might want information to possibly do it in the future, you might want to read this article:
http://www.animalplanet.com/pets/health ... -the-dark/

Since dogs have acute hearing as well as smell, you would have to have your experiment partitioned off from the human or dog. One possibility might be to have the dog looking through a sliding glass door into a room with a dimmable light source. If you started completely dark in a room you could have someone slowly increase the light level until the dog (or human) reacted to seeing something in the room. You could have the dog's owner sitting in a chair close to the window and see at what point the dog noticed they were there.

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”