Difference between Streptococcus agalactiae and Streptococcus B hemolytic

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

becka01

Difference between Streptococcus agalactiae and Streptococcus B hemolytic

Post by becka01 »

I'm writing a paper on group B strep infections. I know that the specific bacteria I'm looking at is Streptococcus agalactiae, but I found a study that talked about resistant strains of Streptococcus B hemolyticus, and I wanted to make sure that Streptococcus agalactiae is part of that group?
donnahardy2
Former Expert

Re: Difference between Streptococcus agalactiae and Streptococcus B hemolytic

Post by donnahardy2 »

Hi Becka01,

Welcome to Science Buddies!

The study of Streptococcus agalactiae, also known at Streptococcus B hemolyticus, or GBS, is a fascinating topic. Streptococcus agalactia is the genus and species name of this Gram-positive bacterium, which has 10 different serotypes, and can be present as either normal flora in healthy individuals, or can cause opportunistic infections in humans and animals.

So you can include the information that you found about Streptococcus B hemolyticus in your paper. Good work on finding the reference and making the connection.

Donna Hardy

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”