Animal Magnetism

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

ALANG

Re: Animal Magnetism

Post by ALANG »

These are the 2 paragraphs that I added. Are they good to go?

If grazing animals do align themselves with the magnetic field of Earth, there may be certain geographic features that can disrupt this alignment, such as the presence of high-voltage power lines. Electric and magnetic fields occur naturally and as a result of power generation, power transmission, power distribution and use of electric power. Magnetic fields result from the motion of the electric charge or current, such as when there is a current flowing through a power line. Such factors may be detrimental to the orientation of the grazing animals to the magnetic north, and finally affect their milk production.

The purpose of this report is to determine if close proximity to power lines affects the grazing animal’s alignment with the magnetic north. Further research will be focused on whether if the presence of power lines may also affect their internal factors, such as milk production. Perhaps this study may help herders to effectively protect their animals.

-Alang
donnahardy2
Former Expert

Post by donnahardy2 »

Hi Alang,

Here is a non-scientific source that has a good explanation of the relationship between magnetic fields and power lines. The earth's magnetic field is stronger than the magnetic fields found around power lines.

https://www.xcelenergy.com/staticfiles/ ... ate/All-EM
F-Brochure.pdf

The earth's magnetic field ranges from .25 to .65 Gauss; the magnetic field under a power line might be .02 to .2 Gauss, so would be much less (you should look for more data on this).. A magnetic field is created whenever any electrical component is turned on or when electricity is being transmitted through power lines. .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth%27s_magnetic_field

For your paragraph on this subject, you are assuming that the original published reference is true, so I recommend revising the paragraph slightly. Your experiment did not address internal factors, milk production, or herders' ability to protect animals so you should omit this subject from your introduction, unless you have a reference to support this. . These factors are important but would require a different experiment.

Grazing animals have been reported to have magnetorecption and will align themselves with magnetic north. High voltage power lines generate a magnetic field, so the presence of high voltage power lines near pastures may interfere with magnetoreception. The purpose of this report was to determine if close proximity to power lines affects the alignment of a grazing animal to the magnetic north.

Donna
ALANG

Post by ALANG »

donnahardy2 wrote:
https://www.xcelenergy.com/staticfiles/ ... ate/All-EM
F-Brochure.pdf

Donna
This link isn't working.
donnahardy2
Former Expert

Post by donnahardy2 »

Hi Alang,

Here is the link again: https://www.xcelenergy.com/staticfiles/ ... ate/All-EM
F-Brochure.pdf

I found an even better source of information from the National Institute of Environmental Health. You should check out the link in the document , EMF: Electric and Magnetic Fields Associated with the Use of Electric Power. Read the first chapter for basic information on electromagnetic fields. This is not a published scientific report, but it is a summary of information from an official government agency that includes a summary of scientific research, so would be suitable for including in your literature citation section.

http://www.niehs.nih.gov/health/topics/agents/emf/

You want to be knowledgeable about EMF's when you talk to the judges at the science fair. You should be able to compare the differences between the earth's static magnetic field and the magnetic fields generated by high voltage power lines.

Donna
ALANG

Post by ALANG »

donnahardy2 wrote:
You want to be knowledgeable about EMF's when you talk to the judges at the science fair. You should be able to compare the differences between the earth's static magnetic field and the magnetic fields generated by high voltage power lines.
The Earth's magnetic field is believed to be generated by electric currents in the conductive material of its core, created by convenction currents due to heat escaping from the core. However, the process is complex and computer models that reproduce some of its features have only been developed in the last few decades. Earth's ields are used by animals to navigate. The magnetic field of power lines are generated due to the movement of charge through power line second difference is intensity of both the fields.
ALANG

Post by ALANG »

How does this sound for analysis and discussion?

The results confirm that if grazing animals have proximity to high voltage power lines, then their orientation with the magnetic north is altered. When the control animals are compared to the grazing animals 65% of grazing animals are situated between 45-90 degrees, and 35% situated between 0-45 degrees with power lines, on the contrary 37.75% of grazing animals were situated between 45-90 degrees, and 62.5% situated between 0-45 degrees without proximity to powerlines. It was not possible to control all of the parameters in this experiment due to Google Earth not having the exact identification of the animals. It’s usually hard to when dealing with living organisms like grazing animals. If cows, horses, buffaloes, donkeys, and deer are included in the analysis, this could affect if there is a difference in the magnetoreception of different animals. In the future visits selection of pastures will be improved by looking for pastures in dairy farming centers to ensure order and classification of the animals.

How does this sound for problem?

The question of possible biological effects of power-frequency magnetic fields (PF-MF) remains controversial, notably because no valid mechanism of interaction could be proposed so far for intensities relevant to human and animal exposure (e.g. such as near high-tension power lines). In rodents, however, a few consistent effects of weak Pf-Mf have been reported. How will the grazing animals respond to power lines?
donnahardy2
Former Expert

Post by donnahardy2 »

Hi Alang,

Your are making good progress! I think you understand the reason for Earth's magnetic field and why there are magnetic fields close to power lines.

On your analysis and discussion, just add "My hypothesis was confirmed," or something similar at the beginning of the paragraph.

Are you thinking about using the last paragraph to describe the problem addressed in your project? Your project investigated the effect of power lines on the ability of grazing animals to align with magnetic north, so you should make a simple statement about the purpose of your project. This paragraph sounds more like background information. Please tell me which sections of the board you were working on for the last paragraph. .

Donna
ALANG

Post by ALANG »

The last paragraph is the problem section of my board.
ALANG

Post by ALANG »

This is my speech, how is it?

Introduction:
Good Morning, My name is _________ and the title of my project is determining the effect of high voltage power lines on the magnetoreception of grazing animals.

Magnetoreception is the ability to detect a magnetic field to perceive direction, altitude, or location. This sense is used by a surprising number of animals, including honeybees, sharks, sea turtles, rays, homing pigeons, migratory birds, tuna, and salmon. The question of whether large mammals are capable of magnetoreception has been controversial.

Farmers and attentive nature and countryside observers know that most cattle and sheep, when grazing, face the same way. From their experience and wisdom, they believe that this is due to weather conditions (sunny, windy). However, to the best of my knowledge, the farmers’ wisdom and scientific studies have not provided answers about which factors determine common alignment of grazing animals within one herd under favorable, nonstressful conditions (windless, sunless days, with optimal or near-optimal temperature).

The Earth's magnetic field is believed to be generated by electric currents in the conductive material of its core, created by convenction currents due to heat escaping from the core. Earth's fields are used by animals to navigate. However, the magnetic field of power lines are generated due to the movement of charge through power line second difference is intensity of both the fields.

State the purpose:

Understanding the mechanism of navigation could also help humans by providing the knowledge to develop new navigation tools. Humans have compasses and GPS, but perhaps there is something better in the future that this research will lead to.
State the hypothesis and variables:
If high voltage power lines are located near herds of cows, the cows' ability to sense magnetic North will be adversely affected.
Independent Variable: The presence of power lines.
Dependent Variable: The angle of alignment relative to magnetic north.
Control: The alignment of cows in pastures

Explain the experiment. (It may change how I present it at different times.)

First, 10 pastures were selected on Google Earth, 5 having proximity to power lines, and 5 without. While choosing these pastures, I had to take account of their resolution and location. Next, all 10 pastures were put onto power point. Then I had to determine the declination using the declination calculator…….will be continued while presenting.

Explain the data
I will explain the data….no speech needed

Conclusion/Results: (I may not follow script on this)
The purpose of the experiment was to investigate the effect of high voltage power lines on the magnetoreception of grazing animals. After completing the experiment, it was shown that the data was deemed highly significant using the probability value. As the data table and circular statistic graphs show, grazing animals tend to be more aligned with the magnetic north with the absence of proximity to power lines. Grazing animals near power lines had an average of 49 degrees (65% of grazing animals were situated between 45-90 degrees, and 35% situated between 0-44 degrees), while grazing animals without proximity to power lines had an average of 37 degrees (37.75% of grazing animals were situated between 45-90 degrees, and 62.5% situated between 0-44 degrees. According to the data and results, the hypothesis was supported, i.e, If high voltage power lines are located near herds of cows, the cows' ability to sense magnetic North will be adversely affected. This experiment relied heavily on attaining data and pasture pictures from Google Earth. Perhaps this experiment could be further improved if the uncontrolled parameters are attended to, such as the type of grazing animal chosen. Additional investigations will be conducted by taking visits to various dairy farms to ensure that there is one type of grazing animal being tested. Also, future analysis could include the comparison of the alignments with the magnetic North of cows, horses, buffalos, donkeys, and deers and observing the variations.
Last edited by ALANG on Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
donnahardy2
Former Expert

Post by donnahardy2 »

Hi Alang,

This is great! Bravo. You have done an excellent job of explaining the science behind your project, describing the purpose, and reviewing the results. Your conclusion is perfectly stated to match the results. You are well prepared to answer any questions that the science fair judges might ask. You are going to do well at the science fair.

One detail, however. As soon as possible, please edit your post and delete your name. This website can be read by anyone and it is an important safety rule to omit any personal information. Everything should be anonymous.

Your speech is fantastic.

Donna
ALANG

Post by ALANG »

ALANG wrote: How does this sound for problem?

The question of possible biological effects of power-frequency magnetic fields (PF-MF) remains controversial, notably because no valid mechanism of interaction could be proposed so far for intensities relevant to human and animal exposure (e.g. such as near high-tension power lines). In rodents, however, a few consistent effects of weak Pf-Mf have been reported. How will the grazing animals respond to power lines?
Please advise me on how to write the problem. I'm having a tough time.
donnahardy2
Former Expert

Post by donnahardy2 »

Hi Alang,

Is the purpose for your speech, the research paper, or for the display board? If you are explaining the purpose of your project, you will want to include the fact that grazing animals have magnetoreception, that high voltage power lines emit magnetic fields, and that you are investigating the possible effect of power lines on the magnetoreception of grazing animals.

You could use a short paragraph such as the following (you can change to your own words).:

The presence of magnetoreception has recently been reported in grazing animals such as cows based on their orientation to Earth's magnetic north. High voltage power lines emit an electromagetic field due to the voltage being transmitted on the power lines. For my science project, I investigated the effect of high voltage power lines on the magnetoreception of grazing animals.

I would omit the controversy and the rodents, as this might confuse your audience, if included with the purpose. You can move this to the discussion section if you want to. Just stick to the main points for your purpose. .

If this is for your display board, you could just use your project question:

Do high voltage power lines affect the magnetoreception of grazing animals?

Donna
ALANG

Post by ALANG »

Good Evening,

I would like to thank you for your help throughout this experiment. I was at the Regional science fair on Monday and I was awarded 2nd place. I also got an award from the society of tarrant county veterinary medical association. Again, Thanks very much!

I'll be heading for Houston in a months time.

-Alang
donnahardy2
Former Expert

Post by donnahardy2 »

Hi Alang,

Congratulations! Your hard work was worthwhile. You must have done a great job in talking to the judges about your project. I'm so happy to you are going to the regional fair

Good luck; let us know how the next fair goes.

Donna
ALANG

Post by ALANG »

Yesterday I was at the fair, and I received 1st place (GOLD Medal). And I've qualified to attend ISWEEP an international science fair.

In what ways now can I improve my project.

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”