FASTA-sequences

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

forcedtoscience

FASTA-sequences

Post by forcedtoscience »

Hi!!

I recently started the Tree of Life - I (basic) project, and I find it extremely interesting. I only struggle to find the FASTA sequence they give in the NCBI website. I search CFTR homo sapiens (under nucleotide) and I can't find the same FASTA sequence I've been given. Do you know where I could find it?
Thanks!!* :D
PharmaMan
Expert
Project Question: Registration as an Expert
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: FASTA-sequences

Post by PharmaMan »

Hello,

The FASTA sequence given on the NCBI website is much longer and consists of around 190,000 base pairs of DNA. For purposes of brevity, the sequence listed in the Science Buddies project page is much shorter. You could utilize the entire sequence for BLAST purposes, but it will be much easier to use a shorter sequence to analyze your results.

Here is the link I used to find the full CFTR gene. This is probably the same page that you found:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/nuccore/NG_ ... port=fasta

Let us know if you have further questions. Good luck!

-Pharma

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”