Independent and Dependent Variable Help

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

antiquehipster
Project Question: Does listening to more music genres make you more open-minded?
Project Due Date: May 6th, 2015
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Independent and Dependent Variable Help

Post by antiquehipster »

This kind of stuff is usually so easy for me because that's what this kind of this is: easy. It's probably the easiest thing anyone will learn in science class, but the reason I'm having so much trouble is... I don't know, honestly. My project is simple enough. I'm testing to see if someone who listens to more genres of music is more open minded than someone who does not. I'm collecting data through a check off list of genres and a "how open minded are you" quiz. It's simple enough, but I cannot for the life of me figure the variables out. I'd greatly appreciate some help.

Also, if this isn't where I should be posting stuff like this, then please tell me and I'll post it somewhere else. I've never asked anything on here before.
SciB
Expert
Occupation: Retired molecular biologist, university researcher and teacher
Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to be able to help students achieve the best science project possible and to understand the science behind it.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Independent and Dependent Variable Help

Post by SciB »

Hi,

You are in the right place! Science project help is our specialty and we answer questions on every aspect. Questions about variables are very common.

In simplest terms, independent variables are what you do and dependent variables are what you measure. In your case, the dependent variable is the score that a person gets from taking your questionnaire. Your independent variable is the selection criterion that you set up--the genres of music (or the numbers of different genres) that the person listens to most often.

Post again if you need more help.

Sybee

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”