Why is there more biodiversity near the equator?

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

katrinalaurel
Project Question: Something that has both medicine and political studies
Project Due Date: Soon
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Why is there more biodiversity near the equator?

Post by katrinalaurel »

Hi,

I've always been puzzled by this question:Why is there more biodiversity near the equator? My guess was that it's due to the effect of the sun's rays and the angle that Earth is positioned, but are there other possible hypotheses of why this occurs? Also, is it possible to perform a research project on this topic and help other people understand my hypothesis using objects found in and around the home?

Thanks,
Katrina
donnahardy2
Former Expert

Re: Why is there more biodiversity near the equator?

Post by donnahardy2 »

Hi Katrina,

Welcome to science buddies!

You have an excellent question about biodiversity. There might be more biodiversity near the equator because it's warmer year round, allowing organisms to continue growing. Locations away from the equator will have cold winters that will slow growth for microorganisms, plants and animals. However, this is certainly a good topic for you to investigate.

I'm not sure how you would investigate the question about why there is more biodiversity close to the equator unless you could investigate a location hear the equator and one far away from the equator. This type of project would probably beyond the scope of a science project.

However,here is a project idea from this website that you might be able to adapt to your question.

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... p045.shtml

You might investigate the biodiversity of two locations in your community to compare the effect of an environmental factor that is present in one location, but not another.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Donna Hardy

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”