Biology help.

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

Tone123

Biology help.

Post by Tone123 »

I was wondering how could I create a controlled oxygen environment (for water or land, with no super expensive equipment) which insect larvae can live in for the course of 2-3 week? I was hoping to test different oxygen concentrations (21%-?) in the environment to view changes in growth rate and final size.
Thanks!
hirop

Re: Biology help.

Post by hirop »

I would recommend using an Oxygen tank, or if you are really handy you can make your own with an electrolyzer, you can build or make a very basic one especially if you would only be keeping the oxygen and not storing the hydrogen. The technology is fairly simple and NASA uses it on the ISS.

http://www.sci-supply.com/Brownlee-Elec ... fgodfdAO1w

very basic for under 30$. I would imagine you would want to measure the oxygen concentration given to the insect, I do not have the knowledge for that so a tank might be better and safer.
Tone123

Re: Biology help.

Post by Tone123 »

Okay, I will look into that, thank you for your help!

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”